Chemical toilet waste disposal

sid

This is not strictly a renovation query but I couldn't decide where else to put the question...

Our house has a fosse septique.

We have some friends coming to visit with their caravan and they'll park it in our garden. I think I'm correct in asking them not to dispose of chemical toilet waste down our loo if they're using the standard 'blue' chemicals, ie formaldehyde-based ones.

Conversely, is it OK if they use the green chemicals eg Aquakem green?

Sid

I would be inclined to avoid getting any of it anywhere near a fosse septique. If they're only going to give the loo occassional use (i.e. at night) then it's only going to need emptying every five or six days - maybe longer. Why not put the cassette in the back of the car and drive off to the nearest Camping Municipal and empty it there in the facilies provided. The chances are the campsite won't even be manned and they can juse empty it. Worst case is that they have to pay for a one night stop which is only going to be a minimal amount anyway - but my guess is that a nice smile to the attendant and maybe a 5€ note ("un boisson") stuffed into his hand and they will be welcomed back on the next occassion.

Eslier

I will try to prevent any emptying but you never know what people get up to when you're not there. However, these particular friends are not stupid so we should be OK. We don't have a municipal camping around here and I know that some people are reluctant to travel with the toilet sloshing about. Pleasant thought!

You can also use, for free, the campervan places in a municpal carpark which provide this facility plus water. We use our caravan for visitors and my husband empties the chemical toilet  there - our local town is very small but it seems now that France is catering for the increasing number of visitors who are using a campervan.

Keep all chemical toilet waste away from your fosse septique. We use the local municipal toilets for waste disposal and there is also a water tap available for cleaning the porta potti out at the same time. I can confirm that waste burried deep soon disperses but we dont have any wells near us.Our local caravan site has a motor van waste disposal site outside so there is no question of charging.