Replacing old 3 phase Cooker

cabman

The 20plus years old mixed gas/electric free standing cooker that came with the house has packed up.

A quick trip to local BUT, to choose and pick up replacement, no problem.

Dragged old cooker away from wall. Surprise, surprise it's wired 5 wires into a large 5-pin plug with a rectangular earth and marked 380 volts...... 3-phase it seems!

New cooker has normal 3 wires.

Do we need an electrician, do we call in EDF or is there a simple solution that I can sort for myself ? 

The rectangular pin is earth (as you have surmised) the centre pin is the neutral and the outer pins are the three phases or "lives".

Connection of a single phase is possible (earth, neutral & just 1 phase - LEAVE THE OTHER 2 DISCONNECTED!). However, your supply may not be up to supplying a modern cooker on a single phase - if your cooker is all electric, then it is likely to draw 5-7Kw with everything turned on. This would need a 15-21Kw 3-phase supply - unlikely unless your house was once a factory...

You may also need to select the phase to balance the load from everything else in the house (high=power devices such as heating, kettles, your C-E, toasters etc etc).

You are allowed to do this yourself, BUT! If you are in the least bit unsure about this, ask a pro (not EDF, who will just tell you to call an electrician). 380V (phase-phase) voltage is absolutely guaranteed to kill you. Connect that plug up wrong and that is exactly what will happen.

I believe that BUT have a delivery/install service.

First, however, establish the "power" of your supply (from the main breaker or your bill), divide this by 3  then look at the rating of the cooker (with everythign switched on). If it is greater than your power supply, buy a bottled gas cooker.

Call a pro! I accept no responsibiliy if you kill yourself. Electricity is safe if handled correctly (like C4). Your experience may vary!!!