Staircase, wood and stone.

Norman

Could anyone please give me some help on my "bright idea" for a staircase.

I want to create something a bit different with the rather simple wooden staircase that I have at the moment by putting in a stone half-turn at the bottom, if you see what I mean.

It would be about 2m x 1m x 1m high..... couple of questions.....

would I basically build a stone wall round and then fill the void with rubble and cement and then finish off level with flat stones?

and, where the wooden part of the staircase joins the stone, can I just build round it so actually the lower end of the stairs goes into the stone and cement, or would it be better to attach it to the outside of the stones and if so how?

Hope you understand what I`m getting at, got a bit lost there myself!

Any advice or other tips most welcome....

Thanks

Norman.

If I interpret you right, you're looking at a short flight of stone steps (3 steps, 4 risers) with a platform about 1m square at the top to form your half landing. Then your wooden staircase will rise off one side of this so that the stone platform becomes a half landing.

Your build method sounds OK, but I'd build an inner wall of blocks, because it's easier to get that right, and then clad it with stone. Doing it that way you could probably make the bottom steps into winders, which would make them look more interesting, rather than having a half landing.

I'd suggest using lightweight blocks because they are easily cut to size with a handsaw. Just make sure you allow the right amount of room all around the blocks for the cladding.

I certainly wouldn't embed the wooden stairs in concrete. I can see all sorts of potential problems there.

The following is a set of ideas rather than detailed instructions!!!!

If you're planning on keeping the top part of the wooden flight I'd suggest sawing off the bottom bit, including the step that is currently at the level you want the half landing. Basically saw straight across the step at the base of the lowest riser you're retaining and then down the side(s).

Better make sure that the bit left behind is properly supported with a solid frame.

Now you can build your stone structure as you described with the edge running to the point where you cut the original stairs.

If you can move the existing staircase, or you're planning on replacing the wooden part then I'd prefer to get it out of the way and build your half riser an extra 30 cm, or so, wide so that the bottom of the wooden flight rests on the stone structure. I think that would be more solid and probably look better.