Spring versus mains water

lavorgere

We were about to have some preparatory work done on our water supply and some drainage problems sorted out when we discovered that ' our ' spring may not be located on our land but comes to our house via our fields. I assume in this case we could still capture it properly on our land ( and install a reservoir etc ) and re-pipe it to the house although ' Jean de Florette ' comes to mind ! At the moment it does not come into the house but fills old granite bacs in the courtyard. However, we did find out that mains water is nearer than we thought and we are thinking about having this connected as well. Does anyone know how much per metre it costs to get connected - even a rough idea would help ? Also, how would I find a water diviner - I'm asking around but not having much luck ? Thank you

• 1 month later...
We used to have a well (long story, often told) which was on our neighbour's land. We had access via a 'gentlemen's agreement', but so did his cows...

We had mains brought in - but it was about 400m for €10,000 (approx). The Commune paid part (there is a general commitment to providing mains water). On top of that we had to pay a plumber to connect from the road into the house. I can't remember how much that was.

As you don't say where you are the costs may vary a good deal. I suggest you go to the Mairie and ask about water supplies - they will tell you the name/s of local companies - and ask for an estimate, rather than rely on what may be wildly variable information.