Chaux Render

Laizy Days

Hi

Having just become the owners of an old farm house in Burgundy one of the jobs I would like to tackle myself is re rendering the outside walls, there not too bad but they do need repairing to prevent further water ingress.

So could anyone tell me what the correct  mix is for using Chaux (ie, 4 sand 1 chaux 1 cement ). And do you mix it in the normal way using a cement mixer. I'm lead to believe that this is fairly straight forward to apply and quite forgiving. Any tips would be most welcome.

Hi

This subject has been covered before on the forum - here's one of the threads.

Chaux render

You'll find others if you search for "render" and "chaux".

Happy rendering.  [:)]

PS If you are doing a full render, without exposing any stone, then you can ignore the brushing off stage and finish with a top coat of render 'bag rubbed' or similar - depends what effect you are after.

No, you can use the same mix.  Some people prefer a 4:1 sand to chaux mix.  Whether you have to render in two stages depends how much of your old render you have to hack out - if it's unstable and you have to rake out and refill between the stones, you should do that before applying your top coat of render.  But if it's in good nick and you don't have to rake out between the stones then you can apply your finish coat directly.  "Bag Rubbing" refers to a method of finishing off your top coat by rubbing the render in to the surface using an empty chaux bag - it gives a semi-rough, rustic finish.  I've a feeling this has also has been mentioned in another thread but I can't recall for sure.