Roofing Repairs

Laizy Days

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice please?. The property (71 Burgundy) I have bought has an attic which I'm going to convert into bedrooms, possibly putting either dorma or velux windows in place, outline planning permission has been granted. Currently the tiles have nothing below them (roofing felt) they just sit directly roofing lats which are layed on the rafters. While I was at the property a couple of weeks ago there was very heavy rain & thunder storms and there was NO leaks "phew", however the ridge beam at one end is rotting and needs about two feet replacing.

The questions are as follows:-

1, Do I have to take the whole of the roof off make repairs and put the appropiate breathable covering on and then put the tiles back in place.The roof is circa 300sqm

2, Could I get away with just removing ridge and make necessary repairs. And put covering on from inside

3, The lining under the rafters will probably be foam / polystyrene backed plaster board. The oak beams purlings etc will still be seen from inside the rooms.

I'm still waiting for the final detailed plans from the architect and I shall be using local artisans. Any pointers from your experiences would be gratefully appreciated.

Neale

Hi Neale

We were in a similar situation, no leaks when it rained etc and were in the process of converting the loft.  Unfortunately, when the snow came, it also came into the attic, underneath the tiles and we had about 2 foot of snow upstairs.  We looked at different options to rectify this but decided that it had to be done properly as there is no point in spending a lot of money converting the upstairs unless the roof is sound, we are now having the whole roof redone.

If you would like to speak to us directly about this, we would be quite happy to recommend a good builder/roofer to you.  As you are probably aware the most important thing is to ensure that any artisans that you use are fully registered and insured.  We, personally, always ask to see other work that the artisan has completed, although the best recommendations are always through 'word of mouth'.

Good luck with your project.

Molar

Hi,

We really appreciate you replying, I was starting to get a bit worried with no reply. We are not too far from you just outside Etang sur Arroux. Therefore a  recomendation for a roofer / builder in this area would be most welcome. There is quite a bit of other work also that would require a qualified proffesional person to undertake, central heating, electrical, etc. The more labourious jobs I will undertake myself. Hows best to contact you via email??? Where new to this.

Kind regards

Neale

• 2 months later...

Hello Neale

We are a little south of you in the northern Allier and have to have a major roof replacement as we too want to convert all of our attic. I was wondering if you had progressed at all with your roof repair, or at least now have an idea of cost per m2.

We have the small red clay tiles which I believe are also found in your area, but as the whole roof is to be retiled are considering using modern look-a-likes as a neighbour of ous has done, and I must say that it looks quite close to the originals (he replaced his roof by himself but I do not have a head for edges at any height !).

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Jamie