Can you handle it ?

Babbles

We have a very nasty miss mash selection of door handles on our not orginal to the house doors, the budgets small so I can't replace them  with reclaimed doors and door furniture, so what I would like to do is replace the handles with metal ones and thats where I'm struggling.

The Bricolages that I've been to either have modern types gold with china handles or ones that are black forged iron and look to old and rustic, Ideally I would like grey metal that look old and good quality with decorative finger plates. Does anyone know of any shops doing this kind of thing or any websites where I can order on line. Its getting to the 11th hour and I'm starting to panic!

And also as a side line I'm looking for some kind of old style pendant light that is suitable for a lowish kitchen ceiling, again any websites would be really helpful.[:)]

Grey metal "old style" ones are available in Leroy Merlin (pretty low cost ones) - though that does not mean they are what you are looking for.

I replaced a lot of my external door handles with ones from the load hardware shop (its a sort of place that sells absolutely everything in every size from shelves stacked with small boxes most of which have not been opened for years but the owners wife still knows exactly where everything is.

Ian

I've had look at some trocs when I'm over which is only about once a month and the ones I've seen are often just odd pairs, I don't mind different styles on each floor but up stairs the 4 doors are quite close together.

If anyone knows a good supply of second hand in Gers or south Lot & Garrone let me know!

I've seen what you are looking for, but never in sufficient quantities. Bricomarché used to do a range of the wrought-iron-effect in grey, but then that became grey paint and then they stopped. We ended up getting black.

I've seen them in one of the on-line catalogues (Lapeyre or Leroy Merlin) but they were significantly more expensive.

Thanks Dick,

They have just the job at Lapeyre on line (The cheaper ones!!!) Next step, I've never ordered stuff on line in france is it ok to use my UK credit card but have the stuff delivered to the house in France, we still do not have a card for our french account (this possibly is a way the other half is stopping me from spending!!!!!!) Unless anyone knows if they have a shop in Agen, Auch or somewhere vaguely north Ger/ south Lot & Garonne I couldn't seem to find a list of shops on the website (but that could be my limited fench and still in shock at the toothless one!)

And I've now looked at Leroy Merlin and they too have some, you guys out there are just great, when you can only get to the house once a month it really helps not having to trail round looking for the basics[:D]

Are these any good?

LES BRICONAUTES VILLEREAL

Lotissement Beauséjour Haut

47210 VILLEREAL

Lot-et-Garonne

Tél : 05 53 36 66 02

Fax : 05 53 36 66 91

LES BRICONAUTES TONNEINS

Route de Bordeaux - RN113

47400 TONNEINS

Lot-et-Garonne

Tél : 05 53 84 09 37

Fax : 05 53 79 12 3

LES BRICONAUTES LOMBEZ

La Ramondere

32220 LOMBEZ

Gers

Tél : 05 62 62 35 33

Fax : 05 62 62 01 00

LES BRICONAUTES FIGEAC

3 avenue Philibert Delprat

46100 FIGEAC

Lot

Tél : 05 65 34 79 10

Fax : 05 65 34 79 10

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
They say there's a store in St Hilaire du Harcouet, but I've never seen it. Anyone know where it is?
[/quote]

I'm about the last person who could tell you where such places are, but putting the address into Via Michelin it offered a similar-sounding address along the D977 at Parigny. I know there are a couple of building type places along that road. And I am sure there is a Briconautes at Domfront (former Espace Emeraude), but no mention on the toothless one's site. Maybe if you give the site to a 9 year old to run it's not very reliable?

But then I'm no better. Until yesterday I didn't have a clue where that Gavraimat place at St Hilaire was - you know, the one that seems so popular on other English speaking forums.

Edit - looking into it a bit further I found that the e-mail address given was [email protected], and one of the places I referred to above at Parigny is Landri (Brico 50) - and, moreover, the phone numbers match, so that's the one (at Parigny, on the road in to St Hilaire from Mortain, on the left, before the left hand bend). It's just a crap web site. Though it does seem to give the right address, despite what Michelin says.