electric radiators

Le_Jars

I am replacing some electric radiators with new. I bought a couple of a type that I have used before and they use 4 core cable. Now I have undone the connection to the existing old radiators, I see that there are only 2 cables there (in the wall as it were), a live and a neutral. Can I still connect my new radiators to just a live and neutral? If so which two cables do I join? If not, do I have to take the new ones back and find some compatible ones instead?

Many thanks in advance.

[quote user="Le_Jars"]I am replacing some electric radiators with new. I bought a couple of a type that I have used before and they use 4 core cable. Now I have undone the connection to the existing old radiators, I see that there are only 2 cables there (in the wall as it were), a live and a neutral. Can I still connect my new radiators to just a live and neutral? If so which two cables do I join? If not, do I have to take the new ones back and find some compatible ones instead?

Many thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Most modern radiators are class 2 rated so do not require an earth connection, but if your radiators have a four core cable (?) ,  it sounds like you may have an earth ? It would be better to post here what colours are the cores in the flex on the radiators.

In radiator flexes black is always used for the "fil pilote" and therfore tape this wire up and do not connect it to anything. Connect the pale blue wire to neutral and the brown wire to phase (live). If the flex has an earth you must really get an earth wire to your connection box to comply with current regs.

All this should be in the instructions that came with the new radiators.