Two years after the devis the new roof is finally on.

After nearly two years of persuausion, telephone calls, faxes, emails and personal visits since the date of the devis we finally have new roofs to our barn and various stone outbuildings.

The majority of the timber beams and boarding was rotten due to water leaks and so we have much new timber too. I said to the builder that I'd soon better get spraying it all with woodworm treatment. My french isn't brilliant but I'm sure he gave me to understand that the new wood was already treated and that if I wanted to, I should only bother to spray what little was left of the old timbers.

The new beams, rafters and boards (interestingly not ply or sterling board, but planks about 30cm wide and a bit more than 1cm thick seemingly simply cut from a trunk) looked very fresh and untreated.

How can I tell if they were?

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

The new beams, rafters and boards (interestingly not ply or sterling board, but planks about 30cm wide and a bit more than 1cm thick seemingly simply cut from a trunk) looked very fresh and untreated.

How can I tell if they were?

[/quote]

"Voilage". If he says they are treated, then they are (all the construction timer I buy is). After all, he has given you a 10-year guarantee.

You can't do any harm by retreating, tho'.....