soldering two copper pipes together - help needed urgently!

Wendy

I am a fully qualified, apprentice trained gas fitter (four and a half year apprenticeship with the North Eastern Gas board) followed by eight years on the tools.Following that I joined a heating company and spent the next 32 years designing and installing heating and hot water systems in every thing from one bedroom bungalows to fifty bedroom hotels; hospitals; schools and factories.

I have soldered, welded and brazed pipes from 8mm diameter to 76mm......I can still solder lead pipes (lead to lead, lead to brass) and carry out lead burning work.

I think my qualifications and experience are more than adequate.

• 3 weeks later...

And still so much to learn about manners.

36.5 years should be sufficient to get a grasp of the fundementals of capillary jointing, I say "should" reservedly. Perhaps for the avoidance of confusion where I am incorrect you might be so kind as to advise in order that we may all benefit from this veritable raft of expertise. If citing many years of experience is in some way intended to negate the facts outlined by myself then it would of course be helpful to explain the 'why' in order that others may make informed decisions.

Then again by the time you have applied solder,weld and spelter to an 8mm pipe it would likely end up at a 76mm diameter either way I see little by way of assistance to the original poster in your superfluous comment.

In the meantime any amateur plumbers out there intending to carry out capillary jointing would be well advised clean is the way to go. It's possible to drive a car in the rain with windscreen wipers off and you may not bump into anything but then again those hugely experienced in risk taking might like living dangerously.