Paint colours

Katy

We are about to paint our house and wondered if anyone can recommend a colour for the crepi.

We are planning to paint the shutters dark blue. We have used Ton Pierre before but don't want to use it this time, as it is a bit too yellow.

Can any one suggest a better colour. We will be painting the corner stones and round the windows white.

The house is a small maison de maitre.

Thanks

I now make my own colours by mixing the crepi with acrylic colorants, for instance for ton rosé I mix in some vermilion red to the ton pierre, you will get a bigger effect by using the white crepi as the base. I was forced to start this when in the final stages of repointing and spray crepi'ing my building I found that the ton pierre had become almost off white with the change of fournisseur, I had to mix in yellow ochre to get back close to the original ton pierre.

So on that basis if ton pierre is too yellow for you you could start with white and gradually add the yellow ochre until you get to the stage you want (I dosed it by weight usig kitchen scales) alternatively the current Brico-Depot idea of ton pierre (off white) and indeed most of the other premier prix offerings including Leroy Merlin may be more to your liking, - beleive me I tried them all!

Thanks that is very useful. We have used the acrylic colourants before and they work quite well but this is going to require a lot of paint and we do not want to get it wrong.

The colour we are looking for is more a stone or off white and not the clotted cream colour which the ton pierre we used, made.

We want it to contrast with the white but not so yellowy. Have seen a couple of other stone colours but no way of trying them unfortunately.

There are a huge range of colours available.  See www.prb.fr for one of the makers websites.  I am no expert on crepi, but am fairly certain that the pigments used will be permanent mineral based types that fade or change very little on weathering.  If you go mixing in acrylic colours or anything else you won't know what you're adding and the lightfastness may not be up to snuff, so you would almost certainly get shading.  The weathering resistance of pigments varies hugely between types and the media they are used in.

Dave