Postcrete

Stan Streason

Does such a product exist in France - I certainly couldnt find any when I looked a couple of weeks ago.

I need to concrete in a few fenceposts (and a washing line).  In UK you can get a quick setting bag of readymix for this from diy stores.  Failed to find anything similar at all.

Thanks

The fast setting stuff costs a lot more and doesnt actually set much faster unless it is used very thin like mortar, it is ideal for shutter fixings etc. When set is does not have the strength of normal bêton pret à l'emploi.

If you wait 48 hours before fitting the fence panels and you are not expecting any gales I would just use the normal stuff well rammed down without adding any water and let the damp in the soil slowly cure the mix, its what I have been doing for 25 years without any mishaps yet.

Except I should say the one time I was fitting underground gate operators for a very impatient customer (a weeks work in all and the very first morning the whole family one after the other asked me "will you be finished today?") whilst I was digging out he offered to pick up a few bags of redimix for me to save time, i.e speed me up.

He came back with the quick setting stuff and I baulked but had no choice but to pay him the extortionate price, anyway I used it, it took a couple of days to set just like the normal despite his belief in the label saying 40 minutes, a year later it had all cracked out and I had to replace it at my cost.

Thanks for this.  I am not particularly bothered about fast setting its just that when in France everything has to be carried in the boot of the car and applied without access to a full range of tools etc unlike in UK..  Therefore want to find ready mix stuff that is as easy as possible.  All I could see at various Mr Bricolage type stores was bags of ordinary concrete.