Want to buy house near skiing in Pyreenes

But we would like to know what the weather is like summertime in areas like Prades, Font Romeu etc.  I have heard that there are frequent thunder storms.  We would like to buy a place near to a ski station and village.  Is it a silly notion to have a house with a pool, would it be a waste for a pool as it may never heat up in summer?!!!  Would we be better off going nearer Limoux, Carcassone or Perpignan and commute to skiing areas.  Also as we do not have any experience of driving in snow conditions are the roads in these areas i.e. Prades etc dangerous to drive on in winter.  Thanks a lot to all who may offer some advice.

Font Romeu. Nice small village, close to skiing and Andorra and nowt else.

Prades nice town. 40-50  mins to coast, 50-60 mins to skiing. The drive is mostly OK apart from when it isn'y. You wioll learn to use snow chains at some time.

Carcassone, Limoux, over the hill from me but both nice places. My guess is that Carcassone is crowded in summer, over an hour to the coast and 90mins or more to decent skiing.

Summer weather hot but not as windy as the coast.

Yes swimming pool in Prades worth having. There is a lake nearby (Vinca) that has people swimming at least June - September, probably longer.

I hope that helps.

Friends of ours live just outside Limoux - too hot for me in summer, so yes, definitely the place for a pool.  Since moving there they have taking up skiing and can be at a couple of stations in just over an hour from their house but don't have the hassle of icy road and being cut off in the winter, so possibly a better bet - unless you want to be skiing all day every day.  They go a lot in the winter and find it no hassle to "commute" from home.

I live in the Dordogne and it is hot in the summer. During the winter we ski, but in the Massive Central. We are just under 2 hours away so can do day trips. If we wanted to ski the Pyrenees, I think that it would still be less than 3 hours away.

• 1 year later...