Quality brand electrical goods

frexpt

We are just about to re-fit the electrical goods in the kitchen of the house we have bought....ceramic hob, combination oven, warming drawer, integral dishwasher and built in fridge.  The present units are quality brands, Siemens & Neff, probably about £3,500 - £4,000 worth, but are 11 years old now and haven't been maintained very well.  We'd like to replace with similar quality, but I was wondering whether better to source in France or via the UK.  I'm presuming a worldwide or European warranty would be offered.

I've just started researching, but was wondering if anyone had experiences to share.  To be honest, I am not sure where to start looking in France for more quality stuff, as what I see on offer from the French "High Street" appears to be of the more (not very) cheap and cheerful variety. 

I found a far better range, from a larger number of marques on the French on-line stores than the meager offerings in (even) the hypermarkets. Admittedly we live in a very sparsely populated part of the country, so I'm not saying this would necessarily be the case in a large conurbation.

Try looking at:

mistergooddeal

rapidodiscount

rueducommerce

I'd try the other way round too. That is, start with the brand and or model you want, then search for it online 'moins cher'.  Kelkoo.fr is a good (but not the only) price comparison site.

I've been out of the UK for so long now that I'm not in a position to price/range compare... but when I was last there, their seemed to be less of a differential the higher up the market you went. For example a cheap Candy washing machine was markedly cheaper in the UK, but a SMEG fridge-freezer, not so much.  But that was back then...

p

De deitrich  Rosieres Schlotes and Miele were good makes in France and probably still are.

I would suggest that you go to you local Darty and look at everything and note the names of the expensive stuff and then shop around, Darty could even be the cheapest.

And as you seem to be buying more than one item, you should expect substantial discounts. Try and play off Darty against BUT and Conforama, avoid the Hypermarkets which tend to be the lower end of the quality range. German stuff is basically better than French for reliability but you will pay more.

Insist on free delivery and installation.

Rexel the professional electrical supplies merchant also sell white goods - I've had several items the past couple of years, they are guaranteed and are good quality brands. Although OH got a whacking artisan discount off, they are still competitive with other outlets. Otherwise Darty are good, are online for you to choose from and delivery is free (80kms to our house and delivered free, plus old machine taken away too)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I'm a big Boulanger fan  because, in my neck of the woods at any rate, the SAV is excellent - a real plus point over here.

The other mob who've been great are my local Pulsat but that's very pot luck as they seem to be independents and thus will vary considerably I guess.

[/quote]

You're very lucky then Coops, because the SAV at Boulanger in Nantes is lamentable: they refused to help me with the broken pan support on a gas cooker I bought from there (still under guarantee) because they claimed it was 'decorative'!    Don't you sometimes look back on things and think, "how did I ever let them get away with that?"

Thank you all so much for what you have suggested.  I don't know some of the stores mentioned, but I'll see what is around here and also on the internet and take it from there.  I'll post my findings in due course.

Thanks again.........[B][B]