French plumbing details

Richard F

I'd like to know the pipe thread on a French loo's ball valve - is it 3/8" BSP?

I'd also like to know what size hole a strap-on boss requires in a piece of 100mm soil pipe - and does you use Jubilee clips to lold it until the paste hardens, or have I only ever seen half the fitting in a brico?

yes WC system fill is usually 3/8" . "strap on boss" come in various sizes. For 100mm usually 32,40 and 50mm. Note that in france they are called "selles" and they are glued in position using standard PVC glue which sets in a couple of minutes - never yet seen a strap on one yet, but does not mean they dont exist.

http://www.raccords.com/catalogue2.php?gamme=919

The one I installed a while back had a standard 40mm opening, with an internal constriction to reduce it to 32mm if needed. I have a feeling the exterior was fat enough to make an internal connection for a 50mm, but I might just be inventing that.

The 'wings' of it are sufficiently springy to hold it in place while the glue goes off, but if you are plumbing this into a vertical pipe, then, additionally,  I recommend holding it in place with some orange builder's tape while it dries, as it tends to droop.

Also don't be too generous with the hole: there isn't a huge overlap top and bottom.

p