Solid wood flooring

JP

My solid wood flooring in the lounge is in a state - it is the original floor & has been patched up / bodged many times by previous owners - lots of tongue & groove parts that no longer fit, some bits have had a foam filler squirted underneath to help support it, v big gaps that are collecting all sorts of nonsense & several areas where a foot is bound to go through soon.  Looks like a replace is needed & am resigned to the cost of that, but, I would like to buy the pre-treated solid wood & avoid the dust & hassle of the ponçage - all the locals that I have contacted seem to only do the 'raw' wood & want to sand at least 3 times - this will cause an unholy amount of dust that I want to avoid with three kids in the house.  Does anyone know if this treated solid wood flooring is available in France or what the french term for it is?

Thanks ... JP

Hi,

No sure what the term is but I'm sure I've seen the prefinished stuff somewhere like Leroy Merlin.

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1299590364&renderall=on

You could ask for the wood to be sanded twice before it's fitted ie sand each plank outside or in the barn etc and just the final sanding once it's down.

I'm not sure what is meant by raw wood but it may be useful to check where the wood is stored prior to being fitted as wood will shrink when moving from a more humid environment. Most shrinkage is seen in the width so if it does shrink after fitting the gaps between ajoining planks will open up. It helps if the wood can be stored in the house for a few weeks before it's fitted so it can acclimatise and stabilise to the new surroundings. Fitting it in summer may be the best option.

I hope that helps.

Catherine