Sortie cloison mitigeur 150mm for 20mm Multicouche (a visser)?

joidevie

I wonder if anyone can send me a link or something..

I'm looking for either a fixed pair or individual 'sorties cloison' for a shower mixer.. I plan to 'arrive' behind a placo in 20mm 'Multicouche a visser' (ie. compression fittings)..

Plenty available 'a sertir' PER.. but how best to mount/branch a shower mixer if using the Multicouche a compression?

Many thanks - I've been searching for hours!

I've definitely seen them, just can't find them at the moment! BricoDepot have these but I don't know if you could use them on placo. I presume that you intend to tile the shower side of the placo?

http://www.bricodepot.fr/angouleme-champniers/node/479305

I used 16mm multicouche for a shower upstairs; pressure is fine by the way, but I went straight to the back of the shower mixer in a "cabine". Multicouche is great!

I'll keep looking!

Edit! I remember now that I went the final 50cms with a "flexible"; this gives me some slack in case I need to pull the shower cabin out at some future time for maintenance.

It's not recommened to use multicouche behind placo, at least if the is a joint there; the joints should always be accessible.

[quote user="sid"]

How about....

http://www.anjou-connectique.com/sortie-cloison-entraxe-150mm-multicouche-male-34ek-p-3391.html

[/quote]

Cheers Sid - I noticed in previous posts that you're a multicouche 'convert' - things have come a long way since I did my flat in the UK with grey plastic Hep2o!

If Multicouche is NOT recommended behind placo, then what is? Soldered copper only? Compression fit copper? Crimped PER only? Surely any joint can fail.. And why would a 'hidden placo sortie' be available with 3/4' male threads? A little confused as I plan to fit the pipes behind placo attached to a stone wall with metal rails (ie. a little hard to access once tiled!).. Would multicouche connecting directly to the 3/4' sortie cloison with this not suffice?

I looked at the fitting in the link and bookmarked it a couple of days ago.. I presume the 3/4 male is the bit you can't see inside the plastic casing?? In which case it could be the one to go for, and 'flexibles' are a godsend with the M/C system..

Cheers for any thoughts..

Hi, yes, definitely multicouche, although I've done some light brazing too on radiator pipes.

I think the idea is that any compression joint could fail so you shouldn't cover it permanently. Plumbers here swear that their brazed joints are stronger than the pipe itself!! Wherever I've use the multicouche the joints are accessible, either totally exposed as in the cellar, or behind a removable panel in the bathroom. For the shower I can pull out the cabin (with a bit of fiddling) if necessary. The big advantage for me was that I was able to run 10 metres of piping (hot+ cold) in a single run, and that included passing through a 60cm wall, and only having joints at the ends.

I found most of my parts in the BricoDeot catalogue, but then actually in the store most of them were out of stock! Not wishing to mix fittings for one make with another manufacturer's pipe I then went to LeroyMerlin in Angouleme and found a VERY helpful assistant who sorted out everything, including fittings (compression again) to join into the exisiting copper pipework.

I think the usual way to mount these "sorties" is to fasten a piece of wood across two of the placo rails behind the placo and mount the "sortie" onto the wood. 

Cheers again..

I just found this page (very useful) which seems to imply that Multi should be OK if used with a kit as the kit is fixed so that you can still 'pull out' the connectors if there's a problem? (ie the frame fixed 'onto' the surface of the placo before tiling)..

I'm wondering whether 'arriving' in 20mm Multicouche in one run behind the placo (no hidden joints) and connecting DIRECTLY to the sortie cloison 3/4 (say with this? ) would be the best option?

My thinking in the 20mm is that it is in effect 18mm inner dia - or should I reduce to 16mm?

Cheers

Hi again

I am only a DIYer so I can't really answer that question. I've seen some placo videos on YouTube where the pipework all gets plasterboarded over. I must admit to worrying about this for a while and that's why I made some neat boxed runs, and also the multicouche is not particularly attractive if it's visible.

The reason I went with 16mm is that when we had a bathroom built a few years ago none of the pipework exceeded 16mm, even for the bath. In the UK I seem to remember that baths would be plumbed with 22mm copper (bigger than 16mm anyway), but I assume that is to allow the bath to fill quickly enough with only the pressure of water available from the loft header. Here in France all of the household supply is at mains pressure and even the hot water comes out at a fair old rate.

Also 16mm is cheaper than 20mm!

Another point I just remembered... I connected to the shower mixer with a flexible braided type tube, but you need to look at the internal diameter and the ones which appear to be 16mm are considerably reduced inside, thus limiting the flow.