Ceilling light wiring - how to install new light?

Oboulez

I have just bought an LED pendant for the sitting room, but on opening the box I see that there are only live and neutral connectors. The existing fitting has several loops. I used to have a UK guide as to how you linked the earths etc which I have misplaced - it may well be different here anyway! Does anybody have a guide as to how to wire this in without either ending up a smoking pair of boots or burning my new house down? Ta.

I don't understand the part about loops; in all of my house wiring lighting points there are just the three wires, a (switched) live or 'phase', a neutral, and an earth.

Are you thinking of the UK system where the live loops from one lighting point to the next, and is more complicated?

What do the fitting instructions for your new light fitting say? It is possible that it is double insulated and doesn't need an earth, probably in this case with a plastic base, but it should be shown on the back of the base by a symbol showing 2 squares, one within the other.

Cheers Sid. On closer inspection there are just the 3 wires - however the connecting block has the live wires going into a port marked 'loop'. Given the new light unit is not earthed, do I just insulate off the earth wire end?

I think you have a UK ceiling rose. [Www]

If the earth wire is fastened (screwed) into a terminal on the rose and is secure there is no need to insulate it. Have you checked the fitting instructions for the light? All fittings, and especially those with metal bodies, should be earthed for safety, unless the instructions say it's not necessary. I think you're going to just have to make the live and neutral connections.