Removals

Bonjour à tous,

Reluctantly, we have sold (three weeks and three viewings) and returning to England. Would any of you know about a removal van returning empty to England (West Country) anytime during June or July.

Thank you very much in advance for help/tips and advice.

Jeanne

Hi foxyloxy25

I too shall be returning to the uk soon. Sorry I don't know of an empty van, but I have had lots of quotes via Shiply. Whether they are any good or not I don't know as at that stage I'd only wanted a rough idea of price.

As far as I can remember, you sign up and state your journey details and the amount you want transported, and, in my case, loads of quotes come through from companies who could do the removal, thousands cheaper than a quote I had obtained the conventional way.  Some asked questions, which indicated to me that they knew what they were talking about and were genuine. Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button in haste and stopped all further action and the ability to reply to the quotes and questions. They are rated by clients. I'm not yet ready to set a date etc but shall consider them when they time comes - very soon.

If anyone has any experience of Shiply I'd be very grateful to hear it.

I shall be selling my house in France. Do you mind me asking how you went about selling as your approach seems to have been very successful?

Kind regards

Loire

I have used Shiply and we had a dreadful experience but then it was only the bad apple we had.  Lots of firms do reply and want the job.  You could read up on the company but the blurp is from the firm themselves and they aren't going to say, we only do rough and will scratch your furniture and the new wood floors in your new house are they?

You could be lucky and pick a good firm, of course.

I have also used anyvan.com and had 2 excellent experiences with 2 different firms.  OTOH, you could pick a remover in the normal way and still make a big mistake, as I have done also.

It's one of those things, you make a decision, you agree to let someone handle some of your most prized possessions and you cross your fingers.

My most prized possession is my piano and the way it has been handled in the past has made me think I'd be better off employing the chimps from that advert years ago from a PG Tips TV ad[6]

Loire,

Thank you for your reply.

We knew we would need to return to England in the not too distant future, as our son's health deteriorates. We thought our house might take a year or two to sell, so got started. We contacted Century 21 to get a quote. As we were returning to England for six or seven weeks, we agreed to let them have sole agency contract for three months, as we did not want to leave our door key with too many agents. I had to up the price a bit as I thought they were giving us a figure that was too low. They accepted our reasons. Three weeks, three visits it was sold. We had fully intended to go it alone after the initial three months as the fees (to be paid by us) are 16000€ which I think are steep, but they were professional and did the job.

Hope this helps.

Jeanne

Hi foxyloxy25

Thank you very much for that very helpful information. Been unable to log in for a while.

I'm sorry to hear that your son's health isn't good.

Are agents' fees normally around 10 per cent?

Someone in the village where I live might be interested in my house. A notaire is doing a valuation tomorrow afternoon, so there might be some progress when I have a figure. Fingers firmly crossed!

Kind regards

Loire

Loire, agents' fees are typically between 5 and 10%.  In our region about 7%

If you have someone interested already just sell it yourself and save a bundle.  Also, it enables you to ask for a lower price if needs be.

Thanks very much Mint. That's very helpful.

Unfortunately the person who "might" be interested is faffing me about, though I'll persist. Clearly the best option.

Certainly shan't put it in the hands of the notaire who came out Weds - incredibly negative, and as he was unable to come until 2 weeks after I asked for an appt, wouldn't bode well for viewings!

Kind regards

Loire

Nothing worse than negativity to put off potential purchasers.  It's essential to remain upbeat and maintain that attitude through all the ups and downs of the sale.  All house sales are like riding a roller coaster in some theme park.

Have a look on leboncoin and see if you wouldn't consider selling it yourself via une petie annonce.  I know of 2 or 3 people on the forum (me being one of them) who have successfully sold on the site.  Also, if you want to target Brits alone (NOT advisable) try green-acres.com or even through the property site of this forum's proprietors (that's just to show I'm impartial!)

Lots of advantages to selling it yourself, apart from saving money.  If you do use an agent and they want to know anything, they are only going to come to you for answers.  You yourself are best placed to showcase your house, the one on the spot for negotiations on price, the one who can offer inducements (eg furniture, garden equipment) and so on and so on.

Oh and DON'T listen to people who tell you houses are difficult/near impossible to sell.......

Edit and PS:  put a for sale sign in a prominent position; costs nothing and could generate lots of interest (that will show that neighbour that he might be missing something if he doesn't hurry up!!![:D])

Thank you so much for that sterling and invaluable advice Mint. Much appreciated.

Saw the potential purchaser this morning who owns the hotel next door. Apologised profusely wasn't able to return to look at the rest of the house as planned due to receptionist going sick , so he had to cover, and being inundated with guests/diners. Coming back this week, and seems very enthusiastic, eyes lit up! No price discussed yet, but I have an idea what I want and think it's worth looking at much smaller, and not as nicely done up,  properties for sale in the village, tho I do realise that asking price ain't what you get! Prepared to be flexible on price as shall be leaving here in a few weeks and the convenience of him buying would help enormously. From what I've been told, the potential purchaser has to stay very close to hotel for night cover, though whether that's a french law or not I don't know. My house and garden has features that could suit him very well, not least loads of fruit in the garden that could be used in his gourmet resto!

I hope you don't mind but I've pm'd you.

Kind regards

Loire