Gas central heating & Hot water boiler

minnie

Last night we had a lightning strike which appears to have knocked out our Chaffotaux et Maury Niagara FF Chaudiere. OH has had a quick look and thinks the fault maybe on one of the boards or if not it could be caput. What happens is that it tries to start up but the gas flame will not light (gas is coming through to cooker). Whilst over 10 years old it still worked well. We'll have an engineer to look at it soonest but are now thinking of the worst case scenario...At that age does anyone think we'd have a chance trying to claim from the insurance? Just a thought. I believe that new gas boilers are very expensive so hope it is not needed. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.

The first thing is to check your insurance policy, I am thinking the excess amount you may have to pay yourself. With mine it is the first 100 Euros.

Contact your insurance broker and tell him/her what has happened. Ask them if you can claim and to send you claim forms just in case. Ask if there is a time limit on making a claim, getting the claim documents helps prove the time period if there is one, don't forget to keep the envelope.

Next get two or more quotes for the repair and see how much it will be but don't mention insurance in front of the people quoting.

Have a look at the quotes against your access to see if it is worth making a claim and go from them. It may be something simple like a fuse on a circuit board, you never know you might get lucky.

Similar happened to ours once, during a thunderstorm. But it was only 3-4 years old.

As Q. writes, check your insurance cover first.

The plumber came and said it needed a new ? which would cost about 100€. Insurance asked for a written estimate and paid the lot! Which surprised me as it was the first time they paid out without a long argument (Axa) and we were about to change to another company because the agent was so unpleasant.