Renovating fly screens

Quillan

All our windows have pull down fly screens and the mesh is getting a bit damaged through age and needs replacing. I looked at replacing the whole units but to fit my windows the half decent ones seem quite expensive. I notice you can buy the mesh "off the roll" and I wondered if anyone has actuall "re meshed" one of these units. I have not taken the roller apart on one so I don't know how that top end is fixed yet but the fixing for the bottom seems to have some round plastic "glued or welded" along the edge which then slides into a slot on the metal bottom that slides up and down. Obviously as this is glued or welded onto the mesh it is a bit difficult to duplicate at home so I wondered if you can buy a replacement bit that you can stick to the bottom of the mesh or somebody has come up with an alternative method of attaching the mesh to the pull down bit?

• 3 weeks later...
Just in case anyone else has the same problem you can buy a kit for 19,99 Euros which is a new sprung roller for the top, netting with special plastic/rubber bit at the bottom to slide into the pull down bit. The kist can be cut to your specific size by you when you fit it. Much better than paying between 60 and 100 Euros for a new pull down screen. The same kit is available at Leroy Merlin but it is more expensive.

http://www.moustikit.com/pieces-moustikit-enroulable/73-toile-moustikit-enroulable-3391920050167.html

If you live near a Leroy Merlin or might be going near one you can get them from them as well but they cost 25 Euros.

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/rouleau-de-toile-de-moustiquaire-en-fibre-de-verre-grise-235x150-cm-e42547

It is all down to postrage really.

Be aware that each brand uses a different fixing into the pull down bar, some are round and others are not, you need the right one.