Complete France Forum

Estate agent price mixups

I have often seen the same house advertised by different agencies for different prices - I assume the difference is down to how much comission they take? What happens when the difference is massive though?

Just before xmas, I found a place advertised for sale on an agents website....looked nice, price was interesting. Called them up to find the agency had gone bust. A lot of further digging found that an old guy who did occasional work as an agent there was now working independantly. Called him to find the property had been sold. He told me about another place though - which sounded interesting. Arranged to go and see it, and liked it. The price is low - 140k euros he said. It had originally been 180k, but hadnt sold. Quite a substantial drop, but I was hardly going to complain. Thing is - this is a VERY low price for the area. Whilst looking around it, it was always at the back of my mind that the price was a little too good to be true.

So, I am thinking about it seriously - and have an appointment to see the bank about a bridging loan till the current house is sold - BUT, while idly surfing about, I stumbled on another agency website selling the same house - 330k euros. Gave them a quick call, and that is definately the "right" price.

How"binding" is the first price? I will be contacting the agent and current owners over the next few days to see whats what...just interested to see what you think?

[quote user="dave21478"]

I have often seen the same house advertised by different agencies for different prices ...

.... I stumbled on another agency website selling the same house - 330k euros. Gave them a quick call, and that is definately the "right" price.

[/quote]

We looked at a house with one agency and the price was 340 000 euros; same house but a different agency and the price was 410 000 euros 'cos the second agency was including more land with the sale.

Sue

[quote user="dave21478"]

I have often seen the same house advertised by different agencies for different prices - I assume the difference is down to how much comission they take? What happens when the difference is massive though?

Just before xmas, I found a place advertised for sale on an agents website....looked nice, price was interesting. Called them up to find the agency had gone bust. A lot of further digging found that an old guy who did occasional work as an agent there was now working independantly. Called him to find the property had been sold. He told me about another place though - which sounded interesting. Arranged to go and see it, and liked it. The price is low - 140k euros he said. It had originally been 180k, but hadnt sold. Quite a substantial drop, but I was hardly going to complain. Thing is - this is a VERY low price for the area. Whilst looking around it, it was always at the back of my mind that the price was a little too good to be true.

So, I am thinking about it seriously - and have an appointment to see the bank about a bridging loan till the current house is sold - BUT, while idly surfing about, I stumbled on another agency website selling the same house - 330k euros. Gave them a quick call, and that is definately the "right" price.

How"binding" is the first price? I will be contacting the agent and current owners over the next few days to see whats what...just interested to see what you think?

[/quote]

I think you will find in France the vendor often decides the price and many sellers have inflated ideas of what the house is worth.

Some agents may go along with the vendors idea of price others who want a sale and therefore commision may persuade the client to advertise at a lower price.

It is not unusual to see variation on price though your example is large.

I think it is also usual for the vendor to use various agents at one time.

Certainly in some countries agents keep properties secret as middlemen will sell a house and negotiate through the original agent or try and cut him out.

A friend was in Malta buying a house and met his agent who took him by car to see various properties. After the third he was concerned and asked the agent why the a man in another car had been following them to each house. His agent explained it was another agent spying on what properties he had for sale. He asked my friend not to negotiate with anyone else.

Our house was advertised at 216,000 euros with one agent, 185,000 euros with the one we were viewing it with, and 160,000 euros with another agent! When we decided it was the house for us we mentioned to the owner that we had seen it for  the lower price and that was the price that we agreed on[:)]

Archived