Complete France Forum

Health and Safety in France (or lack of)

Walking around Nantes as we do, witness lots of work going on.  I am constantly appalled by the lack of basic safely gear used by the workers, my pet horror is the motorised disc cutters with the operators not wearing neither ear nor eye protection.  This group I took a picture of yesterday seemed to testing new ways to inflict self injury, or indeed  those having the temerity to use the pavement the branches fell on! The top of the wall is about 12 cms wide and two meters high.

image.thumb.jpeg.64f4a4337b2be8344d7263b38b4ab28e.jpeg

• Sad 1

Yes, i see stuff like this all the time.  Often worse than your picture.  I always wonder how in the he** anyone can be so stupid.  But, obviously, there are plenty of stupid people out there.  I remember one guy that was working on an exterior wall at our house in Bédoin with a power tool and no eye protection.  The blade on the tool flew off - apparently not attached correctly.  Missed his eye by a few centimeters.  Scared the he** out of me.  Off to the hospital he went.  I never saw him again.  He was a worker for the macon.  I always wondered if, after that, the guy learned to use face protection.  Somehow, I kinda doubt it.