Complete France Forum

Importing a Car for Residence Secondaire

SteveB

Hi. We are resident in UK, but have a residence secondaire in France. We had an old UK car based in France which we imported to France before Brexit, but this has now "bitten the dust". We are looking to buy another small secondhand car in UK (much cheaper and less mileage than French secondhand cars) and importing this. I am aware the process is much more difficult an expensive than before Brexit, but to me, it still makes sense if we can achieve it. I have read all the guides, but has anyone actually done it? Any advice, areas of difficulty encounterred etc woulld be much appreciated!!

Steve B

14 hours ago, SteveB said:

Hi. We are resident in UK, but have a residence secondaire in France. We had an old UK car based in France which we imported to France before Brexit, but this has now "bitten the dust". We are looking to buy another small secondhand car in UK (much cheaper and less mileage than French secondhand cars) and importing this. I am aware the process is much more difficult an expensive than before Brexit, but to me, it still makes sense if we can achieve it. I have read all the guides, but has anyone actually done it? Any advice, areas of difficulty encounterred etc woulld be much appreciated!!

Steve B

Are you aware of the legal difficulties of second home owners and the ownership/registration of a French-registered car?

Nick P - this used to be a grey area, but in 2022 the authorities clarified that a foreign resident can register a car in France on two conditions: a) that they have a valid driving licence (which can be foreign) and b) that they can provide proof of address in France (which for French residents cannot be a second home but can be for non-residents - it is regarded as their "main home in France").

As before Brexit, you cannot (legally) drive the car in your country of residence.

e-plaque has all the details.

Steve

• Haha 1

On 28/08/2024 at 10:50, SteveB said:

Nick P - this used to be a grey area, but in 2022 the authorities clarified that a foreign resident can register a car in France on two conditions: a) that they have a valid driving licence (which can be foreign) and b) that they can provide proof of address in France (which for French residents cannot be a second home but can be for non-residents - it is regarded as their "main home in France").

As before Brexit, you cannot (legally) drive the car in your country of residence.

e-plaque has all the details.

Steve

Wanna bet, try telling your insurance company when you trash the vehicle. When you register a car in France you have to give your primary residence address. A maison secondaire isn't a primary address. Good luck

Before posting, I had spoken at length to my French insurance company, and they confirm that if your main home is in UK (and you are therefore legally a resident there), and you only have a second home in FRance, you can legally register a car in France at that second home address. (If that were not true, it would mean that only legal residents of France could register a car there.) They confirmed that the insurance they would provide would be valid. The link below also confirms:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/practical/uk-residents-can-legally-register-a-car-at-their-french-second-home/272218

Obviously I would not drive without fully legal insurance.