Complete France Forum

Can you legally drive at 137 kph in France ?

Well of course you can, when you are learning the ´code de la routé…or learning the ´highway codé in English..

So my daughter has arrived at that stage where she can learn to drive. That involves learning the ‘code de la routé.

You can learn officially online with multiple choice questions. It is actually quite fun. It is an official site. 

Anyway, one question involved an instructor car on a motorway asking if you can do this or that. Fair enough. Can I overtake or not…blah blah..blah. A,B,C multiple choice answer.

The problem is that the instructor car was doing 137 kph as shown fully on his DIGITAL SPEDO.. Plain to see ……137 kph. In the picture. You can see it clearly on the screenshot or the video. The instructor car is speeding lol. 

You could not make it up.

Same or different instructor car asking a different question is shown entering a tunnel at 70 kph when the sign clearly indicates 50kph. The question was nothing about speed. Lol. He enters the tunnel at 70 kph when there is a big sign saying 50 kph.

They you go….why the French can’t drive.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

Now I think about it, I do remember something!  It'll be one of the famous trap questions.  The car in the videos is not the instructor's car, it is supposed to represent a car being driven in traffic.  The question would show the speedo, the road markings, the cars in front, and in this case there are no cars approaching from behind in the other lane, and the driver is on an autoroute. So the question would be something like "can I overtake?" and many would answer yes, as there is no approaching traffic.  But the student is supposed to note the speed, and so the correct answer is no, as they are already over maximum speed.

The 70km one would also be a trick question.

Can you legally drive at 

8 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Well of course you can, when you are learning the ´code de la routé…or learning the ´highway codé in English..

So my daughter has arrived at that stage where she can learn to drive. That involves learning the ‘code de la routé.

You can learn officially online with multiple choice questions. It is actually quite fun. It is an official site. 

Anyway, one question involved an instructor car on a motorway asking if you can do this or that. Fair enough. Can I overtake or not…blah blah..blah. A,B,C multiple choice answer.

The problem is that the instructor car was doing 137 kph as shown fully on his DIGITAL SPEDO.. Plain to see ……137 kph. In the picture. You can see it clearly on the screenshot or the video. The instructor car is speeding lol. 

You could not make it up.

Same or different instructor car asking a different question is shown entering a tunnel at 70 kph when the sign clearly indicates 50kph. The question was nothing about speed. Lol. He enters the tunnel at 70 kph when there is a big sign saying 50 kph.

They you go….why the French can’t drive.

If your speed readout is accurate to within 1 kph - yeah why not.

If you have more than two active brain cells - probably not.

https://www.radars-auto.com/actualite/actu-radars-general/jusqu-a-quelle-vitesse-pouvez-vous-rouler-sans-perdre-de-points-tableau-officiel-1856

12 hours ago, betise said:

I don't remember seeing that when I passed my code here.  I remember the multiple choice questions, and all of the different online practice sites, but not that.  Gotta photo?

I asked my daughter to screenshot it when it comes up again. The car is doing 137 kph.

Mad init

12 hours ago, betise said:

Now I think about it, I do remember something!  It'll be one of the famous trap questions.  The car in the videos is not the instructor's car, it is supposed to represent a car being driven in traffic.  The question would show the speedo, the road markings, the cars in front, and in this case there are no cars approaching from behind in the other lane, and the driver is on an autoroute. So the question would be something like "can I overtake?" and many would answer yes, as there is no approaching traffic.  But the student is supposed to note the speed, and so the correct answer is no, as they are already over maximum speed.

I get your point. It is an overtake question. And you can overtake in the situation given….except (what I missed) the gantry on entry to the tunnel has a red cross. So fair point. But the car was too close to the tunnel to make it obvious and most would have spotted the closed lane earlier. 

But the guy/girl doing the demonstration in the car was speeding into the tunnel. Which is normal behavior in France to be fair.

Loads of the questions are completely dumb and in contrast to the UK test are at a complete opposite to what is taught.

Another one, you are approaching a lorry half blocking a city road because it is offloading. Which zone do you concentrate on first.

Where you want to go, the zone on the left where you need to overtake, the zone on the right because their is a child on the pavement or the zone behind you….your rear view mirror if you like.

Go on, I will open that question up. What zone would you concentrate on first !

15 hours ago, betise said:

Yes, these are trick questions.  There are plenty of them on the various Code de la Route tests.  They are testing your aptitude to detail; you'll need to look at every detail of the photo and/or video.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Where you want to go, the zone on the left where you need to overtake, the zone on the right because their is a child on the pavement or the zone behind you….your rear view mirror if you like.

Go on, I will open that question up. What zone would you concentrate on first !

If there is a child/pedestrian on the road or giving the appearance that he/she is going into the road, they would be your first attention zone.  If the child is simply walking along the sidewalk with no obvious indication that they are going onto the road, then the first attention zone would be your rear view mirror as you cannot go around the truck if someone behind you was already making an attempt to go around.  After the child issue, the rear view, then the zone of the lane you need to use to overtake - to ensure no one is coming towards you in that lane (it is free to overtake).

6 minutes ago, Lori said:

If there is a child/pedestrian on the road or giving the appearance that he/she is going into the road, they would be your first attention zone.  If the child is simply walking along the sidewalk with no obvious indication that they are going onto the road, then the first attention zone would be your rear view mirror as you cannot go around the truck if someone behind you was already making an attempt to go around.  After the child issue, the rear view, then the zone of the lane you need to use to overtake - to ensure no one is coming towards you in that lane (it is free to overtake).

Yep….I totally agree. Its a mixture of the kid and what is happening behind you.

You have to assess both simultaneously. I said kid but you could equally have said what is behind you.

You are slowing down and then indicating to move around the obstruction when safe to do so. So that means in a UK test to look in your mirror first.

But the kids safety was in my opinion paramount.

But the answer was…..the zone where you want to go. Forget the kid and the idiot behind you. They don’t count.

How does that work with preventing accidents ?

What are they teaching ?

I don't know.  I took maybe 200 sample written tests on various online sites before taking the actual test at La Poste.  There were many questions that seemed completely ridiculous.  It is what it is.  You do learn to read the questions very carefully and look at any photos/videos extremely carefully.  I don't really see the point in trick questions, but there are PLENTY of them possible on the French Code de la Route test.

It makes the U.S. driving test look like kindergarten work.

Yes Lori, so many questions where the answer seems obvious, if you don't take all factors into account.  I practised like mad online, every day before the test, and passed first time. Although for the like of me I can't remember all the safe stopping distances,.  A bit like when I was a pompier, and was told I had to learn all of the orange hazard warning plates for HGVs, OVERNIGHT ! Can't remember many of them now either.