Complete France Forum

I have decided I must be a martian.....

I thought I was au fait with with the English language, even when it is used by Americans!😀

As an interested observer, I have been following the speeches and debates from across the pond.  Some words such as "forgiven" as in students are forgiven their debts are easily enough translated into their student debts are written off.  OK, a slightly different interpretation of a word but perfectly comprehensible all the same.

But now we have "Kamala is BRAT"!  Is she really?  And who says she is?

Years ago, in my degree course, we used to say that humour is not for babies or martians.  In other words, humour is culture specific.  Or in layman's language, we might say, for example, jokes are not readily translatable into someone else's language.

Now it seems that I no longer understand fairly basic English.  As a consequence, I am now more or less convinced that I have appeared on earth as an alien, even more at a loss for words than ET.

I wonder if anyone else feels as I do?

Lori, I don't understand the American voting system. 

As for all these show-biz, Hollywood types, I don't see why their "endorsement" should mean so much.  After all, they must be the least representative of American people?

13 hours ago, menthe said:

After all, they must be the least representative of American people?

Here is another one for you menthe. "Swifties"  If Taylor Swift backs your party, she brings with her an immense (and I mean it) following of people who may well think "if she likes you I should like you too.  

According to his article half US adults are her fans, that is quite a representation of the US people

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2023/03/14/more-than-half-of-us-adults-say-theyre-taylor-swift-fans-survey-finds/

17 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Nah, she's just a childless cat lady 😜

He's a real winner isn't he.  But, it plays right up to their entourage - a bunch of old, white men and women passed their prime.

38 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

If Taylor Swift backs your party, she brings with her an immense (and I mean it) following of people who may well think "if she likes you I should like you too.  

I believe there is some truth to this, particularly regarding the younger generations.  The half U.S. adults being her fans, I have my doubts about that.  Yet, I don't think anyone would turn down an endorsement by her.

13 hours ago, menthe said:

As for all these show-biz, Hollywood types, I don't see why their "endorsement" should mean so much.  After all, they must be the least representative of American people?

I can see how you might think that.  However, take a look at the Kardashians and their following.  Mind blowing.

21 hours ago, menthe said:

I thought I was au fait with with the English language, even when it is used by Americans!😀

As an interested observer, I have been following the speeches and debates from across the pond.  Some words such as "forgiven" as in students are forgiven their debts are easily enough translated into their student debts are written off.  OK, a slightly different interpretation of a word but perfectly comprehensible all the same.

But now we have "Kamala is BRAT"!  Is she really?  And who says she is?

Years ago, in my degree course, we used to say that humour is not for babies or martians.  In other words, humour is culture specific.  Or in layman's language, we might say, for example, jokes are not readily translatable into someone else's language.

Now it seems that I no longer understand fairly basic English.  As a consequence, I am now more or less convinced that I have appeared on earth as an alien, even more at a loss for words than ET.

I wonder if anyone else feels as I do?

You understand English, just   not the simplified  version that has evolved in America to cater for a country where many people  were immigrants .