Complete France Forum

« no show » (ne pas se présenter, en anglais)

Lehaut

We do not eat out very often.  When we have made a reservation we normally respect it, don't think we have ever just cancelled without calling.  A lady in our block ran a winter Hotel in Courchevel.  We were astounded to learn that the clientele there thought nothing of booking several places in different restaurants for an evening.  This allowed them to offer a choice to their family/friends if they decided to go out.  The abandoned reservations did not bother them at all!  

Not surprising that they are staring to ask for debit card details and taking a charge for "No Shows"   The kicker is that people then leave bad reviews due to their own bad behaviour.

With nearly 30 years of skiing experience, I can tell you that British skiing tourists in France are not exactly the cream of the cream.

Some, a lot, most ???…..are an embarrassment in the way they behave.

Seriously, they think they own the resort and think they can do as they please. 

Getting shìt faced then fighting and shouting in the streets. Vomiting everywhere. 

So what the lady said does not surprise me one bit.

I tend to not be a reserver for restaurants  unless I am sure and there is a need (have often done so only to find taht teh restaurant is hardly busy, but we do tend ot eat earlier than most. Same with hotels, rather than paying up front, and getting a reduction sfter several times not  being able to cancel and get a refund during Covid, unless I am absolutely positive I book flexibly even at  more cost so that I can cancel if needed.  But no, once reserved, I would always ring and cancel hotels or restaurants if have to alter plans. .. it's only polite. 

2 hours ago, Lehaut said:

..................... Not surprising that they are staring to ask for debit card details and taking a charge for "No Shows"   The kicker is that people then leave bad reviews due to their own bad behaviour.

That could explain the small number of really bad reviews for establishments which otherwise have a majority of very good ones, and on visiting, seem perfectly reasonable.

As well as bad reviews posted by competitors or "enemies", of course.