Complete France Forum

Building Certificates

johnson

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to build a house in the Dordogne using qualified english builders? How do I stand regarding building certificates? I intend to use local artisans for plumbing, electrics etc.I would be grateful for any help in this as I have been unable to find the information myself.

Johnson

One of the main reasons to use local artisans is financial long term view - should you wish to sell the property in the future, only registered artisans' invoices will be counted by the notaire as allowable against 'Plus Value'. Materials must be purchased by the artisan and included on the invoice to count too. Any materials you bu from the local brico merchant will not be included by the notaire. Thus, if your English builders are registered as traders in France, ok - This may not be an issue for you as things stand - but could be significant down the line. Your local Mairie can provide a list of trade in your area - or perhaps ask neighbours for recommendations. At the very least they will be on hand down the line for any snagging or other needs....

Phylis

Hallo. You need to ensure that your builder - of any nationality - can offer adequate professional insurance (art; 1972 Code Civil), including 'decennial' (10 year), 'garantie biennale (two year), and 'garantie de parfait achèvement', and also cover yourself with an 'assurance dommage ouvrage' (loi Spinetta 4 January 1978). If the proposed dwelling is 170m² or over you need the services of an architect, and advisable in any event - and cost effective even for smaller projects, and essential if you are not going to be on site to supervise every stage of planning, permissions,soil survey,construction, linking to utilities and delivery. (See my article in the October issue of 'French Property News').

Note that a recent French TV programme was critical of 'quality certificates' awarded to construction companies under labels such as Qualibat.

Regards, P-D de R.

Archived