Complete France Forum

Nice, congenial small town recommendation, please

mint

[quote user="woody234"]are the taxi drivers in france registered like in the uk and the person attacked by the taxi driver was  they a brit  man or women
[/quote]

Your post is curious in the extreme.

I thought the quote from France Bleu Poitou was clear and with no possibility of confusion.

....un chauffeur de taxi l'a surpris en train de frapper et violer une jeune une jeune britanique de 25 ans ...

A taxi driver surprised HIM whilst HE was a hitting and raping a young British girl aged 25.

As noted immediately above the taxi driver is the hero of the drama.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You may have found the quote clear with no possibility of confusion, but not everyone on this forum is good at written French....[8-)]

[/quote]

Probably more the fault of dependence on a google type translator.

Bing Beta Live Search Result       ...a taxi driver it has surprised by train strike and violate a young a young British 25 years...

Google Translator Result                  A taxi driver was caught hitting and raping a young a young Columbia 25 years .

Don't you just LOVE these translations.............[:D]

No shortcuts to understanding, I'm afraid:  just got to put in the work and the hours.[:(]

On the plus side, you'd surprise yourself just how much progress you can make if you put in some real effort.....[:D]

You could try this one though I don't know if it is any better though it is different! The audio text to speech thing is good..........JR

http://translation2.paralink.com/

PS It translated the paragraph as:  Hit and violated just a step away from dance hall
A suspect is on guard on sight after the rape of an English young person in Two - Wean. During the night of Saturday to Sunday, a taxi driver surprised it hitting and violating a young person a britanique young person of 25 years in a field near dance hall in Souvigné. Having stopped some minutes later, the 30-year-old man could be put in custody in the afternoon.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hi, RR, how are you?  Funnily enough I have been thinking about you  since posting this thread as you are someone who has done it ( moved within France that is) and I wonder whether you are still pleased you moved?

Of course, you didn't move far away and I am coming round to the idea that perhaps I, too, shouldn't move too far away.

Yes, I have heard about Brive (by which I am presuming you mean Brive la Gaillarde)?

I am truly looking forward to a move but I am also a little apprehensive because it seems a very big project at this time especially with market conditions the way they are.

Do come back and tell me how it has worked out for you.........please?[:D]

[/quote]

Sweet 17 I have only just read this posting as I haven't been on the forum for a while, so my apologies for not replying sooner. We have been very pleased with our move (which happened nearly 18 months ago now) even though it means we are doing renovations all over again.[:-))] We have more beautiful views, a better garden area and enough land for our 2 donkeys who used to be in a borrowed field not attached to the house before - in fact since June this year we have 3 donkeys as my jenny had a foal [:D]. The best thing though is that the move left us mortgage free, which we were very grateful for when everything in the financial world went pear shaped last year.

RR, thank you for letting me know how you are and I am delighted that it's all worked out so well for you.

All we have is our little dog, in the way of animals.  We have good friends where we are and we thought we wanted to be in a town for all the amenities.  In fact, on reflection, I really just want somewhere quiet (but with easy access to a nice town with "stuff") and we also need to buy something with the sterling we have!

Sounds ridiculous, perhaps, but we want to buy from someone willing to take sterling and then sell our present house in euros.  Then, hopefully, that will mean we will have a nice lot of euros to live on and not have to keep watching the exchange rates.

But this post is mainly to say I am so very pleased it's worked out well for you![kiss]

Archived