Complete France Forum

English Club in or around La Rochelle? And can someone teach me to surf?

Hi all

I live in the centre of La Rochelle with my wife (French) and two kids (9 year old girl and 7 year old boy).  Does anyone know of any English clubs in La Rochelle or at this stage, does anyone fancy getting together on one wednesday afternoon per month to start some sort of club?  We live just a one minute walk from Place Verdun.

My kids both speak French (bilingual) but we have only been here for two months and I think it would be good for them to have some English pals too.  My wife had a French club when we lived in Herts, it started with three Mum's and ended with around 30, we had some great social events, funnily enough most based around partys with booze!  We are in our early thirties and would love to hear from you.

Also...I love the sea, was bellyboarding today, can someone teach me?  I'll pay the going rates, am desperate to learn!

Thanks

Kevin

"My husband and I belong to the Franco Anglais Association in Royan and the first AGM was held last week.  I you let me have details of who wants to join then we can pass it on the the committee.  We have met lots of English and more importantly French people since arriving in France this January and also attended some fantastic events.  Thoroughly recommend joining.  So do get in touch "

Kevin I copied this from a thread further down and missed off the vital address [8-)]but I am sure you could do a search for "Anglo / French club Royan" and find the thread.

For details of local clubs and learning to surf you could contact the tourist office in la Rochelle.

bon courage

edit: this might work!

Anglo Fraench group Royan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

just along the coast in Nieul-sur-mer. I set up an English conversation circle when I moved here from Paris a couple of years ago. The idea was to get me out of the house (I work from home) once a week. It wasn't necessarily aimed at fellow Brits and everyone who turned up was French, which was fine. It sort of fizzled out over the weeks and months although I'm still in touch with one French person who lives in La Rochelle and we get together for the occasional chinwag (excellent English).

My wife's French and we've got 2 boys aged 6 and 4 (we though are in our mid-40s, late starters!). I've got so lazy recently and hardly speak any English at home these days so the kids' standard of English has fallen accordingly. I could be persuaded to kick-start the conversation circle, what with the nights starting to draw in. A couple of people have recently asked me if I'm still doing it so it's got potential. Maybe in La Rochelle this time. I know an ideal venue. Nice bar near the old port. French patron with English wife. In any case, give me a buzz to talk about it. I'll PM you.

Cheers!

Archived