Complete France Forum

setting up a goats cheese fromagerie near Toulouse

Hi,

We're considering setting up a small goats cheese fromagerie in the countryside near Toulouse, and would then like to sell our produce.

Would anyone have any sound advice on the protocol/logisstics/feasibility of such a start-up?  And the EU and local regulations?

Thanks!

James Christie-Miller

Better check out the local competition!  Lots of French people sell their goats' cheese on local markets in the south west.  Perhaps you could check it out with the equivalent of the Min of Ag?

PS Which direction from Toulouse?

Good luck

I don't know many small goats that actually buy cheese, so are you sure your cheese will appeal to the small goat community in your area?

Howard (my smallest goat) now he loves a bit of marmalade on toast! but cheese gives him the scutters!

Good luck anyway, you can be sure I will recommend you to all the cheese eating small goats that I know. Have you thought about expanding your market to cater for large goats too?

In my experience goats are completely indiscriminate - they'll eat anything, including the washing off your neighbour's line.  Given this and also that they are quite price conscious and that you will be trying to sell into an open market, I think you will find that goats don't make very good customers.  This type of customer goes for the cheapest (or free) offering on the one proviso that it is digestible - which could reek havoc on your profit margins. 

What about establishing an arrangement with boutique food shops in the UK?

Archived