Complete France Forum

Medoc region

Vendays montalivet to be precise. John misses the sea and its not too far a drive from here in the Deux Sevres.  Do not know this part of France. Have found a nice looking b/b on the beach edge.

Is there much to do? We enjoy cycling and walking. I believe there are many famous chateaux in this region. Is there a really good restaurant to celebrate a 50th birthday?[<:o)]

Any information or recommendations gratefully recieved.

There is lots to do in and around Vendays-Montalivet.  Cycling (very good network of paths) and walking are the obvious activities.  But visiting the famous Chateaux of the Medoc is also essential, together with buying their famous wines 'vrac' (have a plastic bottle or two in your car ready).  The well known names never seem to be open at normal times so I tend to take 'pot luck' and just turn up at where ever the car takes me.  www.medoc-bordeaux.com is a website worth a visit.

Walking along the ocean beaches is a must - 150 miles of golden sand.  Jumping through the surf is fun.  In summer, there are supervised areas.  Out of season, I only venture out into the ocean when there are other people on the beach as the waves can be dangerous.

There is a good quality restaurant in Vendays itself, which is gourmet standard.  My husband and I dined there last autumn.  Restaurant Chez Gilles et Marika, Hotel de France, 1 route de Lesparre, 33930 Vendays Montalivet 05 56 41 70 34.  It is geared to the 'French' and not tourist-orientated.

The markets are good - Montalivet (on the coast - Vendays is inland) in high season is vast.

There are inland lakes near Hourtin and, although I haven't visited them yet, I'm told they are pretty.  If you are into naturism, Euronat is the largest in Europe with excellent facilities (I am told!).  You don't have to go naked to visit.

Archived