Complete France Forum

[quote user="Pads"].... tell me about some of the nicer villages to visit, by nice I mean a few nice shops a good place to stop for lunch ( quiet but tasty) maybe by a river or canal. nice views ..... maybe a market or good books shops to browse in.[/quote]

You should try Le Somail Pads, a few nice canalside restaurants, a quirky "barge" shop, and a fantastic book shop in an old church.  Oh and the very quirky Musée de la Chappelerie (Hat museum).

Well worth a visit.[:D]

[quote user="Pads"]

Come on then Lori ...... Id love to talk about whats happening in the area maybe you could tell me about some of the nicer villages to visit, by nice I mean a few nice shops a good place to stop for lunch ( quiet but tasty) maybe by a river or canal. nice views ..... maybe a market or good books shops to browse in.

I can recommend Caunes Minervois  Lagrasse and the Abbey at Fontfroids all worth a days vist and stop for lunch. If you know any of this places you will know the kind of place I like.[:)]     

[/quote]

Do  you mean areas in my department?  Or in the L-R?   Can't help you on L-R as I don't live there.

But, if you want info. on my area, I can suggest lots of things. May be a bit too far for you to travel.

Am reading Sepulchre right now, so ready to hop over the Rennes le Chateau (not sure if I got the name exactly right) or that general area in a heartbeat. 

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Pads"].... tell me about some of the nicer villages to visit, by nice I mean a few nice shops a good place to stop for lunch ( quiet but tasty) maybe by a river or canal. nice views ..... maybe a market or good books shops to browse in.[/quote]

You should try Le Somail Pads, a few nice canalside restaurants, a quirky "barge" shop, and a fantastic book shop in an old church.  Oh and the very quirky Musée de la Chappelerie (Hat museum).

Well worth a visit.[:D]

[/quote]

Thanks for that Maricopa , I have just checked that place out on my picture map and it looks loverly will be making tracks there shortly.

We are trying to walk large sections of the canal between Nabonne and Carcassonne as there are some loverly areas.

[quote user="Lori"][quote user="Pads"]

Come on then Lori ...... Id love to talk about whats happening in the area maybe you could tell me about some of the nicer villages to visit, by nice I mean a few nice shops a good place to stop for lunch ( quiet but tasty) maybe by a river or canal. nice views ..... maybe a market or good books shops to browse in.

I can recommend Caunes Minervois  Lagrasse and the Abbey at Fontfroids all worth a days vist and stop for lunch. If you know any of this places you will know the kind of place I like.[:)]     

[/quote]

Do  you mean areas in my department?  Or in the L-R?   Can't help you on L-R as I don't live there.

But, if you want info. on my area, I can suggest lots of things. May be a bit too far for you to travel.

Am reading Sepulchre right now, so ready to hop over the Rennes le Chateau (not sure if I got the name exactly right) or that general area in a heartbeat. 

Yes I have read both of Kate mosses books and shall be heading out that way when I have finished stalking the canal areas .. They are good arnt they ? 

[/quote]

I've not read her first one, but will now order it.

I'm only about 275 pages into Sepulchre, so I've not even finished it yet, but yes it is very good.

Really makes you want to see the area being written about.

I dont know any hotels in that area Im afraid but Why not stay closer to Carcassonne and make it a day trip from there? Then you can see the areas covered in both Books ......and I could pass you places that have been recommended to us in Carcassonne  

I'm afraid I have been to Carcassonne six times (took many visitors) and would not really like to visit again.  The walled part is beautiful, but so overwhelmingly tourist ridden, I just don't really want to see it again.  Also, there are too many other places I haven't yet seen.  But thanks for the offer to recommend places.  I've found a few near Couiza and Rennes that I have bookmarked.  One is at the exact bridge in the Sepulchre book.  You can see it in their photo.

http://www.chambres-rennes-les-bains.com/

Still, I'd like to see the surrounding areas.

That place looks very nice ... love to hear about it after you have been there.

While your there you must explore the surrounding area, after reading her books it will get your imagination going for sure...

When we were house hunting a few years back we drove all around there and said we would go back and look some more, but we are in love with the canal du midi at the moment and spend our walking time around there. But Im sure we will get back there one day. There is just so much to see    

Yes I know what you mean about Carcassonne it is very busy in the summer . I prefer to walk around the old cite in May time , It is much quieter   and a much pleasenter time altogether.

iter fv

Archived