Complete France Forum

ANYBODY LIVE NEAR TAIN L'HERMITAGE/TOURNON SUR RHONE? (Drome, 26) PLEASE LEAVE A LINE HERE!

[quote user="glacier1"]Hi there,

We are looking for fellow Brits in my region.  Please could any Brits in my area leave a line here, it's comforting to know that there are more people moving to my area :)

David

[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for David.............................[:)]

Dromeshire, The Drome Ghetto, doesn't have quite the same ring as the other well known place, sounds a bit LOTR don't you think [Www]

The Ardeche/Drome was one of the areas we looked at and were initially attracted to but ultimately the remoteness coupled with the potential for getting snowed in and the logistics of travel back to UK for work forced us to dismiss it. Some friends of ours here in Lot lived there for about 5 years but the winter climate drove them away.

I do wish for more Brits in this area, honestly, we have PLEANTY of tourists, but only 2 couples (I know of) who are Brits, 1 living in my village, the next living in the village after mine.

We also have an American couple living in my village.  Most people here keep themselves to themselves, all atempts at making contact failed because they just wanted to keep themselves to themselves (we are a quiet community, it's easy to come here and just switch off from everybody else). 

Weatherwise, I actually love it here.  Spring starts early, summer ends towards the end of November (3 years running now it has been this way), I am protected from the snow, Valence/Montellimar get much more snow than us, we are in a geographical horse shoe, mountains to our North, West, South.  The heavy rain mostly avoids us (except for the exceptional rain we had this summer).  All-in-all, I can't complain.

Looking forward for Spring though! :D

Another good point.  I am 5mn away from Tain L'Hermitage train station (with access to all of France).  30mn away from the TGV station (2hr to Paris), 1hr30mn away from Lyon Satolas and Nimes Airport (international flights plus cheap flights accessable), A7 Autoroute de soleit (5mn from my house).  National roads 2mn away from our house (both sides).  I'm on the border of the Ardeche/Drome (so I can use either road systems in summer time when it's busy).  Also, I live near a hydro-electricity power station, I pay very low electricity bills and water bills, plus tax bills for living here.  I cannot complain.  For 3 months of semi-hard winter, I can endure it! :D

Where's the BEST place in France for weather then??

I live in the Vaucluse, so am not too too far from you, yet not close enough for a quick coffee, etc.  When I posted a similar question asking about forum members living in my area, there was only one.  That was a long time ago and who  knows if things have changed.

Just up the road from you.

Seem to be a lot of softies posting about the harsh winters.  Tain is very mild (positively sumerlike) compared with being 900+m above sea level in the Monts d'Ardeche - except of course on those days when we are above the clouds and basking in the sun while the Rhone valley is under a grey clag and minus 8

Hey Andy,

wow! I know, the mountains above Tain/Tournon are really really cold these days, it's a beautiful day here in Tain L'Hermitage, sun is really warm.  How long have you been here in the reigon?   What brought you to here?  How do you like it?  I have been here 4 years now.  I love it, really do! :)  Do not hessitate dropping me a PM if you want to stay in touch. 

Kind Regards

David

Hi Lori :) thanks for your reply.  I have tried reaching out to the Brtis in my neck of the woods, went to speak to the mayor when I arrived to introduce myself, they wanted me to form a British community here, where we all do with each other, and we bring more Brits into the area.  It all fell apart from the start.  People do not want a Costa de Britain here, not that I was looking for that in the 1st place.  It's nice to know who's moved in around you.  We moved at the peak of the houseing boom.  Thank god!  I am sure there'll be many "economic refugees" from the UK, it's nice to know if they come to our neck of the woods! :)

Archived