Complete France Forum

Holidaying in Languedoc-Roussillon

Hi. I am busy planning next year's summer hols for my family (inc children 9 & 17). I am interested in finding out more about holidaying in Languedoc-Rousillon, especially as Jet2 are now operating direct flights from Newcastle to Toulouse next summer.

I suppose I am interested in the usual opinions: What is it like weather wise in late August? Is it overrun as much as the Riviera? What are the best coastal resorts to stay/visit (we prefer quality to quantity)? Are there nice places to stay inland (but within a shortish drive of the coast)? Is it as costly as the Riviera? Is there plenty to do or see for younger people?

Sorry this is a long list, but I hope those of you who either live there or visit regularly will be mines of information. All opinions gratefully received.

Just a word about the weather in late-August.

I don't know why, but the weather has a habit of 'breaking' around the middle of the month.  Not every year of course, but I always advise visitors who are looking for a sunny holiday to avoid these last two weeks if they can.

The last few days have been brilliant, but today is overcast (though really warm), & next week's forecast is dodgy.

Of course, thinking about it, exam results for the 17yo may be the reason for your proposed timing.

you could also try the PO forum: www.anglophone-direct.com - very friendly lot they are!

The forum will give you all sorts of information on the area.

there is a resident (resident on the forum that is - in reality he is in England in the rain) expert weather forecaster who posts extremely accurate forecasts every day.

I am in 66 at the moment and it is VERY hot and sunny but with a welcome gentle breeze which makes it bearable.

Just to answer the question about the weather in late August...(I am in Herault)...here it hasn't rained since mid-June. The day before yesterday (Saturday) was the hottest day for this year so far (37 degrees, around 98F I believe?) Temperatures seem to be set in the low thirties for the rest of the week - by now we might be beginning to expect thunderstorms, but it hasn't happened yet. Like everywhere else these days, by and large the weather is quite unpredictable, as some other summers are very different. I remember a very cold early September not so long ago...

I'm in UK just now, but my next door neighbour in the Gard emailed yesterday and complained about the sun and heat - she's from the south and used to it. Definitely mentioned 'canicule'. It was 31 at 10.30, by which time she'd already been for her walk and had a swim, and it was expected to reach 36 again. Her windows and shutters were all fully closed, and that's how they'd stay till late evening.

Cloudiness was expected today, with slightly lower temperatures, but was forecast to be hotter again for the rest of the week. Thunder is to be expected as mentioned, but doesn't seem to clear the air at this time of year. Last summer it was the hottest place in France at least once, and on our return neighbours and shopkeepers kept telling me I was lucky to have been out of it - and they're locals!

We won't return till heading for mid-September, when I can stand the temps better.

It's more like April here! Heavy rain overnight, and 4 heavy showers during the day, interspersed with sunshine and clouds. It's 22.5 now, at 17.45, so not unpleasant - just doesn't seem like summer really!

I really couldn't take it there at this time of year, but bought knowing that - and my garden hopes for attention in the summer! [:)] We face directly south down there, in a very sheltered position, so we benefit from the sun all year which is great in winter! I hope some of you have air con, fans and nice awnings/shutters  [:)]

Have to say that the last few days have been 38/39 degrees (0.2 below 40 at one stage). We have the shutters closed and the AC on, any form of work unless at the end of the day or the early morning outside is impossible. If you rent a car make sure it's got Clim and not just AC, it makes life so much easier and you don't have to keep fiddling with the controls. Good idea to find either a B&B or Gite with a pool this time of year specially with kids. Difficult I know but if your an active family (do a lot of walking etc) I would say don't come late July, August or early September. We get a lot of walkers and they start to turn up late September early October. Beaches are great, clean and with no big complexes like Spain but there are also loads of lakes with artificial beach's where you can swim and do many different forms of water sport.

Thank you all very much for your info, insight and links.  It's true that we are welded to the school holidays for our main summer break.  The reason I contemplated late August is that the Jet2 flights are on a Sunday, so if we flew out on 14th Aug, the return date would be 28th, so I would have the following day (bank holiday Monday)  off work.  I guess we could reconsider that.  My now 16 year old son will be getting his AS level results, but that's not really a problem.

I was interested to hear that there are inland freshwater lakes in the region.  Does anyone have any names/locations?  Thanks again 

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]

I was interested to hear that there are inland freshwater lakes in the region.  Does anyone have any names/locations? 

[/quote]

Can't think of too many lakes in this departement, but plenty of rivers!  Hiring a canoe or kayak is great fun, inexpensive and you can take as long as you like - lunch or swim en route.  The Gardon (from Collias), the Ceze (Goudargues) & the Ardeche (Vallon) are just 3 good centres. There'll be plenty more in other departements

My avatar was taken from a kayak on the Gardon!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived