Complete France Forum

We are in St Valery sur Somme and we use bottled gas for cooking or should I say cremating at the moment!

However we use a Godin and a log fire for heat and when it really gets cold ( not often ) we are slaves to them both. A new condensing boiler as we have in the UK would be bliss.

I asked my neighbour and he said that he doesn't pay an abonnement, but now I realise that sometimes he is just trying to be helpfull when he should really say "I don't know" after repeated "interrogation" he admitted that he only gets one bill a year (he pays monthly) and has never really studied it but will do so and let me know.

I live near Albert and love your area, I recently did some "accrobranche" at Quend plage.

P.S I find bottled gas fine for use on the hob but have heard others complain about its performance in an oven, has your oven been jetted/rejetted for bottled gas? are you using butane or propane?

Thanks for asking your neighbour. I can interrogate my neighbour on our next visit.

I think its propane we use and yes its the oven thats rather fierce, the gas hob is fine.

What is accrobranche? Don't have my big dictionary in the UK and Babel translates it as it is.

Hi neighbour! Just got my GDF (Somme et Oise) bill, and the abonnement is a mere 9.89 euros per month. Not sure if it's at a discount for paying by virement, which I do...

PS Also posted this on the other, slightly loopy, thread.

PPS Very excited as I've just got my first blue dot, under baby Pye's picture.

Hey, Somme people...

Is there a *beach* at St-Valery-sur-Somme?  I have been to the town a few times, but never got further than the little square near the Picarvie museum.  It's just that I once read about a particular "beach bar", and wondered where it might have been.  Perhaps down that long pedestrian avenue that goes off from where the "land train" starts?

Angela

(TWO blue dots!!!)

[So sorry about going so wildly off-topic with this.  We've continued the beach conversation on
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/789607/ShowPost.aspx
 ]

Yes you are right, the town beach is at the end of the promenade walk. Its not a bad patch of sand but there is no bathing as it is so dangerous ( currents etc )

In the summer there is a beach bar / cafe which is a lovely spot to watch the sunset with a glass of wine and a bowl of moules but as beaches go you can't beat the one on the opposite side of the bay at Le Crotoy. Southerly facing and white sand.

Sounds idyllic, Pagnol! 

It always seems to be high tide when I have been at Le Crotoy, so have not seen the beach. Presumably it's just by Joan of Arc/Chez Mado? And I guess as it's on the same current-swept estuary, you can't swim there either?

Angela

I have a friend with youngsters who love the beach and go round to Le Crotoy for swimming. However I know you still have to be careful but  they have found a safe place to bathe. Sorry I can't tell you where at the moment but if you are interested I can quiz her next time we meet.

Hi Pagnol,

Don't worry, it was only idle curiosity (I am not a great swimmer!)...  

I did drive up to La Maye once, and seem to recall it was plastered with notices about not doing stuff - but I think it was more not disturbing basking seals.

Angela

Archived