Complete France Forum

St.Gilles (village?) nr. Mt.St-Michel

Hi,

I have a copy of an old map from around the early 20th century which shows a village or hamlet called "St.Gilles" (near Mont St-Michel), exactly mid way between Ardevon and Brée on the road connecting these two places. But on modern maps St.Gilles does not show :-o Can anybody help please - what has happened to this village?

Many thanks :)

Ric

[quote user="kr236rk"]I have a copy of an old map from around the early 20th century which shows a village or hamlet called "St.Gilles" (near Mont St-Michel), exactly mid way between Ardevon and Brée on the road connecting these two places. But on modern maps St.Gilles does not show :-o Can anybody help please - what has happened to this village?[/quote]

If you go to this link:

you will see a cluster of buildings which is in the place you suggest. If you then go to the infinitely better geoportail version and play around, you will see that the area associated with this cluster is marked as "St Gilles" on the plan cadastrale.

Basically it was probably only ever a small lieu-dit rather than a village, and has now lost any importance that it once had.

Edited to make the geoportail link work correctly.

Regards

Pickles

There is a St Giles Church in the Vale of Glamorgan on the south coast of Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gileston

Pilgrims landed there to travel to the monastry of St Illtud in Llantwit Major (further inland).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's fantastic thanks! :)

I am researching the area in an 'armchair' fashion (at the moment).

St Giles is the patron saint of deer especially the hind and there are deer links in this part of Normandy/Brittany.

Also in Wales there are deer links with Illtyd / Elltyd

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Yu8FM2k_VM0J:people.bath.ac.uk/liskmj/living-spring/sourcearchive/ns6/ns6tgh1.htm+Illtyd+stag&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

so a further link to St Giles might be expected (good one!)

Bests

Ric

Archived