Complete France Forum

A.A.A.D.D.-Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder

tinabee

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.  As I walk towards the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the rubbish bin, and notice that the bin is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the Rubbish first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the rubbish anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.  I take my cheque book from the table, and see that there is only one cheque left. My extra cheques are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Cola that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my cheques, but first I need to push the Cola aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Cola is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Cola, a vase of flowers on the work-top catches my eye....they need to be watered.  I put the Cola down on the work-top, and I discover my reading Glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I'd better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I put the glasses back down on the work-top, fill the watering-can and suddenly I spot the TV remote control. Someone left it on the Kitchen table. I realise that tonight when we want to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the living room where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers. I pour some water in the vase, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor, so I put the remote control back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the water.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car hasn't been washed, the bills haven't been paid,
there is a warm can of Cola sitting on the work-top, the flowers don't have enough water, there is still only one cheque in my cheque book,

I can't find the remote control, I can't find my glasses, and I can't remember what I did with the car keys.
Then, when I try to figure out why I didn't get anything done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.  I realise this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC

Heard Terry Pratchett on the radio last week describing the 'Over 60's Treasure Hunt'

It goes like this:

1) put car keys in left hand

2) close eyes and count to 10

3) open eyes and look for car keys

Not a bad gag for someone who has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's

My poor old Mum used to be like that Tinabee. She was always starting one job, getting sidetracked, going onto something else, so nothing got finished, and I would go round finishing her jobs. When she was in her 40s too. I try to make a point of doing the job NOW - don't put it off. But I'm getting more and more like her. She was lovely though, I miss her.

Archived