Complete France Forum

Re: What I most like about Un Village Français

mint

Yes, it's well made, the scenery is glorious, the music is wonderful, the acting is superb.  It's all of those things but what I most like are the fashions!

How I adore those lovely dresses that are so feminine with those little belts to cinch in the waist.  And those blouses with the little short puffed sleeves and the dinky shortie cardigans.  Did you notice that little wollen pullover the institutrice was wearing last night?

As for the hairstyles, aren't they to die for?  So soigné!  I'd dye my hair strawberry red just like that of the doctor's wife if I only had the freckles to go with it...........aaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

So, today being warm, I dug out a straight polka dot skirt given to me by a friend who is 2 sizes bigger than me and it had the neccessary width and bagginess round the hips.  Then I found a so nice old top with a little velvet strip around the collar and the sleeves and that looks suitably faded to go with the skirt.  I found my tiniest little ear studs and I put on my mother's old wind-up watch (none of my usual brash, big rings and bling bling bracelets).  I imagined I looked like I could have been a character out of the film.

All right, I should have pondered the morality of occupiers and the oppressed, the thin line separating good from evil, the ambiguity of patriotism, the pull between loyalty and treachery and all the other stuff that I am sure the film is really about.

So you think I might be a bit shallow?  Shallow, moi?  I tell you, shallow people have more FUN!!![:D]

Oh, I also like those lovely old cars they had.  Mind you, as I might have written off my own car by driving it into a door 2 days ago, I might well have to ride around in one of those sit up and beg bicycles that also feature heavily in the film.

Wouldn't mind so much as long as I get to ride it with bare legs and those sexy little shoes with the little 2-inch heels...........mmmmmmmm.

SW17 .............

But it's not the women, it's the men who really cut a dash.

The one who you would really go for around here is the bloke who frequents the Cafe du Midi most days / afternoons / and probably evenings.  Rotund, and with parts of his body that clearly need frequent scratching, he 'assists' at the weekly market on the chicken rotisserie. What he does is anybody's guess, but he ducks behind the back of the stall every so often for ............... whatever.  His garb can best be described as basse couture, but he likes it and wears it every day, so who cares. Certainly, nobody buying a chicken should.

My old friend Syrup has reappeared for his Summer hols.  An excellent example of the genre and my only question is that of his nationality.  Probably Swiss.

Finally, there's 'D', the taxi firm owner (and sole driver). A dapper dresser, he wouldn't feel himself to be out of place in the more chic parts of Paris.  His aftershave can be detected at 10 paces, overwhelms you on passing, and stays with you for an hour or so. Used, I'm reliably informed, to asphyxiate any flying objects that might invade his cab. 

I can tell you're only jealous, Gardian.

BTW, you're not the anglais who still goes around in those Aertex shirts as worn by Fred Perry, are you?

The one who wears those socks with his sandals and Baden-Powell shorts?  LOL

[quote user="Gardian"]How did you guess?[/quote]

Nevermind, Gardian.  I thought you looked kinda cute.  In these days of boring uniformity, you certainly stand out from the crowd.

Er...............you won't change your appearance, will you?[:@]

Archived