Complete France Forum

Re: How do YOU mark the coming of winter?

mint

In previous years I might have said when I changed from a G & T to a large whisky on the rocks.  Not this year though, given up on the hard stuff and just a glass or two of wine with dinner; really very abstemious.

Or I might have said, when the quiches and salads gave way to hearty stews.  Not this year yet again as I have gone right off eating meat.  The bois-charbon oven is burning away and all I'm doing with it is boiling interminable kettles of water for washing-up and the cleaning, and roasting walnuts (fallen from our own trees) and left-over bread to make crumbs.

What about when I get the thermal undies out?  Nah, have been wearing those for weeks now so can't count that.

I know, the last 2 mornings, I have walked the dog after instead of before breakfast!  That means it's too cold to go out before breakfast and a bowl of porridge, hot coffee and toast are necessary before one ventures out of doors.

So, winter's started for me.  When does winter start for you?

Not this year yet again as I have gone right off eating meat.  The

bois-charbon oven is burning away and all I'm doing with it is boiling

interminable kettles of water for washing-up and the cleaning, and

roasting walnuts (fallen from our own trees) and left-over bread to

make crumbs.

Perhaps you could make some nice bean casseroles in that oven or bake some bread.

You sound a bit wistful tonight Sweet.  And that's how Winter makes me feel.  I do cook stews - same methodology as you might use for a beef stew, for example but just lots of carrots, leeks, onions maybe some beans or even Quorn (if I can get hold of some).  Obviously it doesn't have to cook for the same length of time.  With the addition of wine, pepper, herbs, veg stock etc and thickened with some buerre manie, potatoes or lentils it's really cosy and delicious served with some spinach or broccoli. [:D]  I mark the coming of Winter with the rush to light the poele in the morning (not yet), the loss of my last zinnias, roses, dahlias and marigolds (not yet), stopping trotting round the village in flip-flops (not yet) and the leaves leaving the vines (not yet!). [:D]

Bugbear, I can see you've got your priorities right[8-|]

Winter seems to dictate that we need those comforting casseroles, jacket potatoes and definitely not the leafy salads we all ate in the Summer.

In the U.K. it's nice to close the curtains at around 4 p.m. on a dull, dark day and the sit down for tea and cake. In France it's definitely nice to close the shutters and have the stove alight.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/IMG_0467.jpg[/IMG]

Well, its cold in the garage !!.

[:D]

[/quote]

You've reminded me of an old Gambols comic strip (you remember the Gambols, used to be in the Daily Express, no idea what's happened since their creator died). George and Gaye had just bought a new car, and George drove it in through the patio doors into the loungeroom because it was too cold out in the garage. Gaye wasn't impressed!

At present we are on the top floor of a block - so can't get the bikes up the stairs (no lifts). Winter definitely means casseroles and puddings - sticky treacle or syrup with custard for the OH. Roast beef dinners on Sundays instead of chicken & salads. T-shirt on under the top & SOCKS - my friends all say they know winter is coming when I put on my socks again!

Archived