Complete France Forum

Re: Alzheimers Test

Bugsy

[:-))][:-))]

The first go was so easy until my score of ..... 0%.  It helped after I re-read the instructions and after the fourth go I got it right.  Now I have to keep practising my name although I guess it might sound a bit strange in the home as I keep on reciting "Weedon.....Weedon"[:$]

This is just another variation of the Stroop effect, named after an American psychologist John R Stroop. It was well-known when I was an undergraduate in the 1970s and was a fairly popular device used in student experiments. It has been used diagnostically in all kinds of situations (not just clinical).

One student I knew used the Stroop to differentiate between children who had mastered reading skills and those who were effectively illiterate. It also demonstrates the "word superiority effect", which shows that at an apparently sublimenal level, the brain extracts meaning from a group of letters before the letters themselves are individually perceived.

Nobody who has found the demonstration here difficult should be unduly concerned about Alzheimers - everyone finds it difficult.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Clarkkent"]Nobody who has found the demonstration here difficult should be unduly concerned about Alzheimers - everyone finds it difficult.[/quote]
I didn't find it difficult.
Should I be concerned? [:'(]
[/quote]

No. The time allowed for decision making was very generous. If you had only been given, say, 100msec your responses may have been different.

Archived