Complete France Forum

Never Get Too Complacent !!

Gardian

For those of a delicate disposition - read no further.

For years, both since we moved here and in many previous holidays, it has been a Gardian family joke to score restaurant and bar toilets.  When I say "score", I mean give points out of ten. This has never reached the sophistication of technical ability / artistic merit, but you get the drift. Just a simple score out of ten, which might allow Mrs G to 'chance her arm' if need's must before a return journey.

One has to say that matters have improved considerably over the years. Whilst holidaying decades ago, it was not uncommon to record scores of 4 or less. These days, France has taken its position as a principal member of the Eurozone seriously and scores of 7-9 are normal.

Until today.

Brief foray to a local village for a 'Marche de Fleurs'. Coffee in the run-down bar afterwards. Yours truly thinks that a 'quick visit' before the half hour drive back might be a good idea. Bar owner (who looks a bit like Steve McQueen in 'Papillon' towards the end of the film) un-padlocks the door to the outside courtyard and gestures "Voila" !!!

I'll spare you the details - let's just say that I didn't dare locking the door for fear of never getting out and the score was -1 !!  The feedback to Mrs G was predictably "Don't even think about it".