Complete France Forum

One for NormanH

nomoss

I remembered a discussion on the subject here some time ago when I heard a German comedian on TV come up with the following observation about English:

If you move to a richer country, you're an immigrant.

But if you move to a poorer country, you're an expat.

Thus far Norman would appear to be sleeping in the sun or whatever he does.

He is most definitely an immigrant, perhaps because Her Majesties Finest would nick him if he returned!.

Talking of Belgium, most of those who came there after the 2WW were either Italian or Polish. The former have kept strong links with their culture and home country and have often kept their nationality, though the third generation might be different. But they are defnitely immigrants, though might retire to Italy and the extended family.

This posed an interesting problem for those eligible for military service who would have been arrested and forcible enlisted had they returned, until they were 35 plus. They were thus often forced to take a Belgian passport and get rid of their Italian nationality, not without some sadness.

I am not sure which of France and the UK is the richer country. At one point it was the UK because the earnings from drug-dealing and prostitution were counted in the British figures whereas as any knowledgeable 'ex-pat' knows neither of those things exists in France.

Archived