Complete France Forum

Through our English language, we have our own ways of tripping up the French!

mint

Now and again, we have the means of taking our revenge against the French for being superior about how we speak their language.

Today, I heard a laugh out loud example of a French person making a mistake that is a bit outside of the usual errors.

Fabrice Santoro, a French tennis commentator, speaking in English was at today's match between 2 players.  Now Santoro speaks fluent English with an attractive French accent and I would consider him good.

It was very blowy at Paris today and you could see the way the wind was swaying trees and making ball trajectories a bit erratic.  When one of the players miss hit a ball, Santoro asked, "is it wind?".  I laughed out loud and thought well, for once, in a sentence like that in English, you need the definite article.

Big difference between is it wind and is it THE wind, surely?    

I love these things, they simply amuse me a lot......... and what can I say..........I speak fluent french 'a ma facon'......[Www] and have made funnier and far worse faux pas in french than that. Which I must add, I can still laugh about.