Complete France Forum

Valuing antiques

Kitty

Christies will give you an appraisal if you provide them with information and images. I've used the service myself.  It's not completely reliable (obviously) but it's a start. It does need to be an item they might consider placing in an auction though.

If you're not sure, about whether it is of the type or value they would consider, I might be able to help you by pm. (I'm not just being nosey[;-)] )

http://www.christies.com/clientServices/AuctionEstimates/AboutAE.asp

As an ex-buyer and seller and collector of antiques and collectables, I would say ," About 1/4 of what the various guides tell you. The market has changed dramatically over the last 4 years, especially in UK. Brown furniture is selling in auctions for about 1/3-1/4 the price of 3-4 years ago and copper/brass and general ornaments are virtually unsaleable. The only items making a decent price these days, are items at the top end of the market and considered a good investment.

Fortunately we sold up and got out of the business side of it 4 years ago but once a collector, always a collector.

Regards. B&B St. Malo.    ourinns.org

Cathy - like Gastines I am an ex dealer (well, resting [;-)]) Depending on what it is, try looking on eBay for a rough idea. The fashionable  look is now minimalist (think Ikea) but Art Deco fits fairly well into this so has retained popularity.

Even  some well established dealers (I'm talking 30 years experience) are giving up due to the poor market.

Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to do a  bit of digging around

I was going to add to my post but was called to lunch,or else. However,as an example of changing times, I have a Burleigh Ware jug of The pied piper of Hamelin.In M.....ers it gives a price of £275 a couple of years ago.Today I'd be thankfull for £75 for it. I used to do trips each week to France to stock up our shop in Bournemouth and each time would go back loaded with items, as B.F. will verify. Now ,although I still like to visit Vide-Greniers and Depot-Vents in different areas, there is very little worth buying now. Several friends who have been in the trade for over 40 years,like me, have now stopped dealing. The whole pattern of peoples lives, furnishing etc as Russethouse pointed out, has totally changed.

You can also add in the burglary aspect.You can buy re-pro for pennies now and if it gets pinched/damaged it is not hard to replace. Also on the subject of re-pro, many shops.traders seem to price it at just below the price of a genuine piece, to catch the unwary, so many people stay clear in terms of investment.  I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out of the Clarice Cliff market, as it was a mass produced item  mostly sold in Woolworths. Mind you hindsight is a great thing, I hate to think how many times I've thought," Should have kept that ".

Regards. B&B St. Malo.      ourinns.org

Archived