Complete France Forum

Advice please ladies!

Chris Head

Ok it's coming up  to winter and I'm replacing much of my winter clothing, my secret weapon when it's sub zero or chucking freezing rain down is Goretex and....Tights! But what to buy? Fishnets or sheer? What denier? Are there any that take into account a blokes bits and pieces?

Well, given they say that its the holes in a string vest that keep you warm, it has to be the fishnets - that and we would all like to the pics [;-)].  But I guess layers work too so maybe fishnets, then tights, then gortex????  As for size - well I wouldn't presume to answer that one [;-)] but I'm sure extra large would be more roomy....

Kathie

Thanks Twinks, you trying to suggest summit? The word 'Merry' has changed alot since your day y'know!

Extra small for me Hastobe, piccy no problem when I get sorted!

CA, I was thinking that black fishnet would go better with my Lowa Goretex boots and chainsaw boots, I've never been a fan of Damart.

I hope I don't get cut, Urgence would have a bit of a larfff!

If you want to be really warm I'd recommend the sailing "inner layer" products. Tops and trousers, under whatever you normally wear. They are designed for sailing where you wear them for extended periods, are doing hard work (sweating) in cold conditions (a lot of external water and half the time at night). Like Gore tex they "wick" moisture away and are exceptionally warm. All the sailing companies make them (and they should thus also be readily available in France from sailing chandlers (forget Decathlon). for example, http://www.musto.com/products.aspx?activityId=1&rangeId=7&garmentTypeId=&genderId=&materialId=&colourId=&priceRangeId= or http://www.gillmarine.com/section_header_pages/products.asp?sub_cat_code=15 - and they all do them.

They also last for years, easily washed, etc.

I'm afraid I have no idea how they compare to tights and stockings (but unlink stockings they do have a fly).

Ian

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="Deimos"]...unlink stockings they do have a fly...[/quote]

Now I may be wrong about this Ian but I didn't think stockings went up high enough to require a fly...

Kathie

[/quote]

That's given it away - single (always thought the French word for "single" quite appropriate and brings to mind monks). I probably meant tights and the thought of Chris with a chainsaw and suspenders brings back memories of the Monty Python song about lumberjacks

Ian

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Ok it's coming up  to winter and I'm replacing much of my winter clothing, my secret weapon when it's sub zero or chucking freezing rain down is Goretex and....Tights! But what to buy? Fishnets or sheer? What denier? Are there any that take into account a blokes bits and pieces?

[/quote]

Oooooh! Chris!! I have now a bigger smile than ever!... the thought of you in tights! Watch out Eddie Izzard....[Www]

My secret for warmth in welsh winters : 40 deniers M&S tights when I am broke and when I want some luxury I go for Walfords woolen tights. Pricey but soooo snug and they last a fair few welsh winters..  [:D]

My scuba diving thermals are brilliant and are just like footless tights. As they're unisex, they're made with a neat little hole in the front seam (much hilarity in the dive shop when I bought them, as I made the mistake of suggesting the hole was a flaw [:$]) B**** expensive, but worth every penny. If they'll let you say underwater in a drysuit for 40 minutes when the water temp is 8 degrees, then they'll work on dry land in a frost......

Anyway..too much information.....

Thanx CB, prices seem OK, if they keep the onset of hypothermia away then they're worth it, also a half a days work lost through cold would pay for them. Next...how to stop fingers and lips cracking open? I've always just gone through it but I'm 40 now and don't want to anymore!

>>> Next...how to stop fingers and lips cracking open? <<<

Good ol' fashion petroleum jelly (on sale in any good pharmacy! in UK at least...) but it may soften the hands too much that you won't be able to grip your chainsaws and instead of hard callouses, you end up with hands full of blisters....

Anything containing lanolin. Natural softening, protecting oil in the sheep's wool. Welsh farmers swear by it.

40! you are just a mere spring chick boyo!

Getting back to the tights, instead of putting something underneath I put something over the top.  I have a couple of ski suits for working outside with the dogs when the weather's really bad.  They are lovely and warm, waterproof, the dogs can jump all over me and then when you go back indoors you just take it off and have your ordinary clothes underneath.  They are also easy to wash.

Archived