Complete France Forum

I have decided...

Will

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you near Malicorne, Cassis - LOL !maybe I should grace you with my presence [:D][:D]

For quite a while Malicorne 'copied' Quimper with very similar decors or at least had their own 'take' on the same subjects, these days many faience collectors are keen on it because in some genres it is lots more accesible than Quimper.

The club meeting is at Rouen next year - then some of them will go on to La Baule and then to Quimper.

Malicorne and Purlieus ? Are they some group from the Eurovison song contest, if not, I know nothing of either.

I stumbled across Quimper during a family

holiday and Moustiers, when we had a place nearby. I bought some great

hand painted tiles from Moustiers, unfortunately we had to leave them

behind, they made up the name of our house and we had to leave them

with the old place !!

I know of a Dolls museum in Nontron though !

[quote user="Miki"][quote user="TWINKLE"]I saw some lovely stuff by local artists at Pont Aven.  The caramels and biscuits are nice too![/quote]

I can't be sure Twinks but something tells me that for all the paintings that have come out of Pont Aven

[/quote]

I was there in June 2005 for work and there was a small atelier a bit further up from the huge biscuit shop (the one where you can see the patissiers making the cookies).  What I saw I liked.

So stick that in your pipe mate.[:P]

Oh and have a lovely time when you go[:$]  Check out the creperie just after the house with the little mill.  It's opposite the carpark with the thousands of British reg cars - you can't miss it[Www]

[quote user="Miki"]Malicorne and Purlieus ? Are they some group from the Eurovison song contest, if not, I know nothing of either.

[/quote]

I remember an absolutely brilliant band playing French traditional music called Malicorne. Are they still going, I wonder?

We often pass through Malicorne on the way to the Touraine vineyards but have never actually stopped at the tile places. Are they worth a visit?

There's a doll museum at La Ferte Mace too, though it doesn't come anywhere near the automaton museum at Falaise, just about my favourite small French museum (apart from the granite museum - yawn - at St Michel de Montjoie)

Thanks for that Twinkle - yes, Gabriel Yacoub - that was the chap. Looks like he is still around as a solo performer.

I first heard them, as with so many other acts, on the John Peel radio programme in the 1970s/80s. There was an English band around the same time, in my neck of the woods, doing similar things with French tunes, buit in a more English way, called, naturally enough, Rosbif. Does anybody remember them?

La Vie Normande seems, as usual, pretty quiet.

http://www.faiencerie-malicorne.com/

Todays faiencerie.

Many years ago there was a big court case because Pouplard signed pieces PB referring (he said) to his wifes name,(Beatrix) however the mark PB was also used by what some consider to be Quimpers premier artist Porquier Beau, oddly the plates Pouplard was selling were of similar subjects. [;-)]

When the ruling came it said that Malicorne items marked PB had to henceforth be marked PBx.

Thats the short version, still awake.....??

[:)][:)][:)]

PS I have a sweet little Moustier teapot.

[quote]Why, exactly, do you ask?

[/quote]

[quote]....erm...........is being 4330 posts behind you a good enough reason?

[/quote]

Nice one ! [:)][:)]

But now I will have to send you a demand for Oeuf-frites at a top French resto [:)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Don't forget the spoons museum at the Moulin de la Sée - best comment in the visitors' book: "At least the guide could have brushed his teeth" - one feels the local pupils were not fully engaged by the history of spoonmaking...

[/quote]

I recall a regular column in Private Eye where celebrities were interviewed on their spoons and attitudes to spoons.

[quote user="Will "]

We often pass through Malicorne on the way to the Touraine vineyards but have never actually stopped at the tile places. Are they worth a visit?

[/quote]

There' more to it than tiles.  I fact I'm not sure if they are into tiles at all.  More your bowls and stuff.  The maiin speciality is pierced work, some of it very delicate, almost like lace.  Plus the naiave artwork stuff of which I was thinking in relation to Quimper (though both centres also do fancier stuff as well).  You can probably tell by my repeated use of the word 'stuff' that I am an expert on this.

[quote user="Miki"]

[quote]Why, exactly, do you ask?
[/quote]

[quote]....erm...........is being 4330 posts behind you a good enough reason?

[/quote]

Nice one ! [:)][:)]

But now I will have to send you a demand for Oeuf-frites at a top French resto [:)]

[/quote]

Ooops! If I pop an oeuf and a spud into an envelope, can we leave the professionals out of this?

[quote user="Chris Head"]Oh aint he a sweetie, I'm just trying to work toward the 1000 mark, hence the drivel from me this evening (yeah ok I left myself wide open)[/quote]

I thought you said you would never make it to 1,000, Chris?  Like Roger Daltrey's 'Hope I die before I get old?'.  [:D]

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Will "]

La Vie Normande seems, as usual, pretty quiet.

[/quote]

I am now splitting my efforts between here and there.

[/quote]

Two lots of two posts on the bounce, a duo of doubles ! Admin, dock

the sausage a hundred posts for being out of order !............Merci.

Betty,

Can we debate this a little please, it's not eggsactly (groan, hiss,

boo, does it get any worse than that [:)] ) what I had in mind. How will the envelope be cooked, à point or

well licked ?

Archived