Complete France Forum

Anyone for tennis?

David J

Hi those interested in tennis.

the moment has come when I make my debut for the local team. Montguyon (17) play away this afternoon at St Sulpice de Royan. I'm in the doubles so hope my partner will be on form.  Had a practise yesterday and I needed it after three weeks without a game.

Leaving here at 1.00pm so expect to start matches at 3.00 onwards.  Results or highlights will not be on Match of the Day so will post result later!!

Thanks to Twinks for birthday wishes.

Hope your latest gig was another success. Sure it was.

I've got to try and perform now!!

Speak later

David J

Yes, today I needed a ball girl as I regularly put shots in the net. Though it could be a distraction !!

Well the result wasn't good and we lost the doubles and one one of the two singles so the team lost 2-1.  However it's not all about winning it's taking part that counts.

When we came over to France and found our property, we wanted to do  things that we just never had time to do in the UK and in Montguyon have found an excellent community with lots to do and playing tennis again was on the agenda and I can now tick that box in spades.

Tomorrow morning at 9.30 I'm playing again possibly singles and this time can't blame my partner. Just me and my opponent for the challenge. This time we are at home so hopefully the performance will be a bit better.

When over I can play regularly as there are a number in the club who I can contact for a game.

Only problem playing is that it normally takes some time to recover.  Not saying it's an age thing just not fit, but the practise will help.

Regards All

David J

Hi Twinks,

Thanks for good wishes. Thoroughly enjoyed the game even though we lost. Posted result in previously reply to M&M.

Was asked if I needed a ball girl. Think a physio is required now to get me ready for tomorrow morning's match.

Federer & Nadal have nothing to worry about!!

Keep singing and enjoy your next badminton match.

Best wishes

David J

Hi,  enjoyed the game and also meeting new french people through playing sport and the social side of being a member of a local club.

Was use to this in the UK (4 - a side football).  Not sure if there is a local group for this yet. Played every Sunday evening in UK for an hour and miss this a bit, but this is better as opportunity to play as a partnership in doubles and also alone in single.

I don't worry about the result as long as I give it a go!! 

Keep you posted with tomorrow's result and action.

David

For those awaiting the result of today's encounter. It was like "lambs to the slaughter".  I was drawn against a player ranked here as 15/5 whereas my ranking in my first year is 30/5 so I didn't stand a chance. Won a few points but couldn't win a game. Back to the drawing board. The team drew 2-2 and so after the match  I enjoyed refreshments of a few glasses of Pineau etc!!

Calf muscles now aching so need the pyhsio on a call -out!!

Next match is Saturday so hope for better performance and will get some practice beforehand.

David J

Hi twinkle,

Did the stretching exercises as you advised. I planted three fruit trees, them planted some more border plants then some general tidying up before planting some rosebushes and then having gained some brownie points used them up with an hour and 30 minutes fishing.

I'll do some paperwork tonight but that's leisurely work.

I won't be giving up the tennis. I was in the final of the club's tournament in September for those not classified and now have a ranking. Need to start from the bottom here and work up. Things can only get better when you loose 6-0 6-0!!

Have another good gig  next time you're out with the stars!

David J

Hi Chris,

I was hoping the short skirts worn by the ball girls would be a distraction to my opponents and an inspiration to me!!

Have had one offer and accepted but awaiting confirmation. There's no pay, no expenses but a few amusing moments I'm sure.

David J

Archived