Complete France Forum

Fancy a cheap property in Bulgaria?

WJT

Katie, I could be wrong but I just can't imagine that this is an agent looking for clients. When you think about it, how much could he have possibly paid for this house in the first place? I for one wouldn't want it if someone gave me a few thousand to take it off his hands.[:-))] You may could do something to the house and garden to make it look nicer but unfortunately you couldn't do anything about where it is and what is surrounding it. 

He does say in his advert, "make it your holiday home or why not move there full time and start a new life" you could always give it a go and let us know. With just spending a few thousand pounds on a house just think of all of that equity left over from your UK property. You could live the life of Reilly and invite all of your Bulgarian neighbours around for parties everyday if you wanted! Or as Christine pointed out spend a lot of time in the bar that the naked fellow with the chainsaw is building. [:D]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/Go6o20vlaha2002020Custom.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/Go6o20vlaha2001920Custom.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry WJT, you are not getting rid of me that easily.  I was looking at property in Bulgaria 7 years ago and houses like this were around 6k mark.  Houses in ski resorts around 26k.  If this person owns the property amongst others, why is he selling them before they join EU?  And without a reserve? And selling a package to set up a company?  Sorry, I just don't think it sounds cosher.

Yes WJT, it does SEEM that that property has been sold but personally, I cannot for the life of me see this as being a true sale.  How do we know the winning bidder is not the vendor.  As I said I believe it is a scam to attract potential clients.

Would you or anyone else for that matter take a risk of selling a property without a reserve price? 

If its a scam to find clients then it is not getting too many. The current one got 13 different people bidding (£3.3k). the 2nd got 5 bidders so far (£1k), and the last 9 bidders (£3.5k). Not exactly raking in the punters for other sales.

I have no idea about property prices there so cannot comment (but it does seem pretty cheap, just thinking about materials costs or value for hardcore !!).

Unless maybe the scam comes in "constraints" on the company that is set-up and the power/fees the organisation setting-up the company them has maybe for the long term - e.g. you commit to them "managing" the company for the next 25 years, etc. - might be why they being sold now rather than after EU membership (when you presumably will no longer need to set-up a company to purchase property).

Ian

More I think about it the more I think they make their money ("the scam") through setting-up/managing/accounting/whatever this company that owns the property. It has got to be as its only a month or so until Bulgaria joins the EU which has got to have a dramatic effect on procedures, etc.

Seems very cheap but I don't have any idea about the property market there so it's difficult to comment. Maybe it's a good (high) price for the property - though to my UK property mentality sound a bit cheap for anything.

Ian

Yes agreed Ian, but in one of the adverts they state that if the buyer needed help in setting up a company to buy the property, they would do this for a fee of £350. It really does seem a lot of trouble for that amount.

As far as the value of the properties, would you buy that property for £3,100?  As I said before if I was offered £3,100 to take it, I still wouldn't have it (unless I could sell it straight on [Www]). It would just be too much trouble to own a property that I would have no desire to visit or have anything to do with. But obviously there are many people that feel differently and perhaps if I stayed just one night in one of those two little bedrooms knowing I was somewhat near something nice as advertised, I could be converted. [:D]

[quote user="Deimos"]

More I think about it the more I think they make their money ("the scam") through setting-up/managing/accounting/whatever this company that owns the property. [/quote]

I agree, that's the only way I can see it being a money-spinner Ian.

I've had a look at a couple of 'Property in Bulgaria' sites today and many of the cheapest properties look similar to these.

Snob hat on! No, I have nothing against Bulgaria at all, in fact I have never been there and understand that there are some very beautiful areas, just in my opinion this was not one. I am certainly not a snob but the house that sold for £3,100 to me at least didn't look like it was in a pretty area to say the least. Obviously if the house was painted and decorated inside I am sure it would be very pretty but unfortunately, would not change the surroundings that it is located in. KathyC, I really don't see how that makes me a snob.[blink]

Edit: I may have it all wrong and it is really lovely all around the area of this house. I may be associating it from one of the photos of one of the "nearby" towns and its tower blocks in the distance and of course the photos don't do it much justice either mind you. But Prague in my opinion is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but outside the old city with all of its old communist grey concrete tower blocks, I find very depressing. This is the impression I am having of this area and perhaps I am totally wrong and it is nothing like that.  This all started as a joke about cheap properties but now I feel I must visit Bulgaria to see for myself. [:)]

Poor people who own that house, Dick.

WJT, it's been an interesting thread.[:)]

When you first posted that property, I thought 'yuc', but then I thought back to what our house was like - and what a sorry state the land was in. Our house was the potential 'blight' for our neighbours. Thinking about our surrounding area, it isn't really that 'pretty'.

Now, I love 'pretty' (see the jachérère thread) but I wanted to live somewhere 'normal' and I do, but it's a bit prettier now we have sorted out the major problems to do with the land here. [;-)]

I don't think I would have considered that first house as a holiday home (too much work/land etc) but it looks like it could scrub up pretty well, and the price it went for was astonishing. If they think they can get their  tongue round the language there, (and ignoring a gazillion other factors)  it doesn't surprise me that others see it as a viable option

[quote user="WJT"]

Snob hat on! No, I have nothing against Bulgaria at all, in fact I have never been there and understand that there are some very beautiful areas, just in my opinion this was not one. I am certainly not a snob but the house that sold for £3,100 to me at least didn't look like it was in a pretty area to say the least. Obviously if the house was painted and decorated inside I am sure it would be very pretty but unfortunately, would not change the surroundings that it is located in. KathyC, I really don't see how that makes me a snob.[blink]

Edit: I may have it all wrong and it is really lovely all around the area of this house. I may be associating it from one of the photos of one of the "nearby" towns and its tower blocks in the distance and of course the photos don't do it much justice either mind you. But Prague in my opinion is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but outside the old city with all of its old communist grey concrete tower blocks, I find very depressing. This is the impression I am having of this area and perhaps I am totally wrong and it is nothing like that.  This all started as a joke about cheap properties but now I feel I must visit Bulgaria to see for myself. [:)]

[/quote]

I think I read your post the wrong way, it was the "two little bedrooms" that did it. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Like Tresco, pretty really isn't a pre requisite for a place to live permanently, unlike for a holiday home. I often wonder how many people's problems in France are caused by choosing "pretty" over other factors in a way they wouldn't in the UK. However, I digress and that's naughty![;-)]

[quote] user="KathyC

I think I read your post the wrong way, it was the "two little bedrooms" that did it. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Like Tresco, pretty really isn't a pre requisite for a place to live permanently, unlike for a holiday home. I often wonder how many people's problems in France are caused by choosing "pretty" over other factors in a way they wouldn't in the UK. However, I digress and that's naughty![;-)]

[/quote]

Well, that was a stupid remark on my part because to my mind small can be pretty.[:)] I guess I was just trying to make a point and imagine myself staying there in one of those bedrooms in that location, it really wasn't meant to comment on the size. Of course that could always be changed anyway if it was a problem.

If you could see our house here in France you would be laughing at my statements. It is a very old house and mainly is meant to date back to the 16th century but was totally renovated (ruined) in the late 60's. I won't even go into what the kitchen is like [:'(] but to give you an idea the prettiest room is the main bathroom with it's aqua suite, not to mention one loo covered with very grotty dark red material on the walls. [:-))]! Oh yes, and the toilets I have been told should be displayed in a museum but the only museum I could imagine would be Churchill's bunker! The cement everywhere, I could go on. Pretty it ain't. So I have no right at all to talk about a property that isn't pretty.

However, I guess for us at least, one of the many reasons we wanted to live here in France was because of it's beauty. Above everything else the situation was most important to me. To wake up in a house surrounded by beauty and in an area of stunning scenery and beautiful villages is what I have always dreamed of. Having said that, when we do move here permanently we will not be looking for work.

Tresco, even though you downplay your area and say it is normal, I am willing to bet it is very beautiful (you can start becoming very blasé about all of those sunflower fields and old stone villages you know [Www]) Your statement about your house originally being the blight of your neighbours says to me that you are in a pretty area and now your lovely house and garden is the jewel. [:)]

Archived