Complete France Forum

What's in your fridge

trumpet

I have recently been feeding the birdies bread. Not any ol bread but a Pain de Mie loaf which use by date was 31/12/06. Honest, this bread does not have a spot of mould on it and if I did not know any different I would eat it myself. Details.......bought from Rostrenen Champion for40cent..Stored in a normal fridge.

[quote user="trumpet"] Not any ol bread but a Pain de Mie loaf which use by date was 31/12/06. Honest, this bread does not have a spot of mould on it and if I did not know any different I would eat it myself. [/quote]

Crikey, that is scarey - makes you wonder exactly what they put in it.

Sue [blink]

Remind me not to have a sandwich!! We buy Pain de Muesli at Cora. Supposed to be a breakfast bread but my favourite with Camenbert de Campagne. Birds love what is left.I soak it first. Most bread seems dry within half a day so not too sure about yours.

Sun is out and must go and pick some peas and broad beans.

Regards.

Answer this then.   How come the baguettes and fiscelles we buy in France are still edible next day, whereas the ol' french stick from Sainsbury/Tesco et al is like reinforced concrete next morning?  In fact they might be confiscated as dangerous weapons - or have I seen  rioters wielding a crusty cob instead of chunks of paving slab?

I chuck all my bread scraps out for the birds both here & in France and its all appreciated.   One of our dogs is also very partial to a nice bit of stale bread that gets dropped from the bird table, especially when it has a good sprinkling of green mould on it or has been soaked by the rain a few times.  And the longer left the better apparently.  Yummy!

[quote user="Framboise"]

Answer this then.   How come the baguettes and fiscelles we buy in France are still edible next day, whereas the ol' french stick from Sainsbury/Tesco et al is like reinforced concrete next morning?  [/quote]

We buy a grand Pan from an artisan boulangere, which is baked in wood fired ovens. Gorgeous.

Keeping it in the traditional wooden bread box, we can still be eating it a week later............

Our loaves in England, again from a proper baker and not a supermarket instant mix bread system, will go green in two to three days.

Why?

Our neighbour (french) gave us the secret to keeping French bread fresh, wrap it in cotton cloth. She then produced a pain, to demonstrate, wrapped in an old 'T' shirt that belongs to her husband. The only problem we had with this is that he had actually been wearing that 'T' shirt earlier on in the day......................................... [+o(]

[quote user="Mel "]I'm obviously doing something wrong when I am at the chateau, because our locally bought bread struggles to see the day out.....[/quote]

Your baker is probably baking 'industrial' bread rather than traditionnal bread. Try a pain or baguette de campagne next time...

PS: did you get your smilies in the sales?[:P]

Archived